Need Input > 03/04 Cobra vs. 07-09 GT500 Purchase & Thoughts

Race Red Boss

Established Member
Hi All,

Looking at purchasing a low mile 2007 GT500. Any tips on what to beware of and/or general thoughts on the car.

Also, would be very interested in hearing from anyone that's owned an 03/04 Cobra and an 07-09 GT500 and how they compared.

Thanks!!

mgmustang1

Established Member
Different cars. Drive both first. Cobra is smaller and lighter. Shelby is heavier, bigger, but more comfortable.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mgmustang1

Established Member
I had a 2010 gt500 which was a little more power than the 07-09. Car made more power than cobra. More comfortable. That being said I still would not sell my cobra. I now have a 13 gt500 but I still would sell the gt500 before the cobra.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
I had a 2010 gt500 which was a little more power than the 07-09. Car made more power than cobra. More comfortable. That being said I still would not sell my cobra. I now have a 13 gt500 but I still would sell the gt500 before the cobra.

From your sig., looks like your Cobra is putting out some pretty good power....so I can understand why you probably feel the way you do. I had an 04 Cobra that was about 500 HP and similar TQ to the wheels and it was a lot of fun....until one of the piston wrist pins broke.

I'm going to try and get out and drive a GT500. I've also had the fortune of owning a 12 Boss 302 and would have to say it was the best overall Mustang I've owned to date. I don't expect the Shelby to perform as well....as least not around corners.

mgmustang1

Established Member
If you liked the boss, you'll love the gt500. My 03 has a 2.3 whipple. @19# boost. I have 900hp half shafts from dss.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
From your sig., looks like your Cobra is putting out some pretty good power....so I can understand why you probably feel the way you do. I had an 04 Cobra that was about 500 HP and similar TQ to the wheels and it was a lot of fun....until one of the piston wrist pins broke.

I'm going to try and get out and drive a GT500. I've also had the fortune of owning a 12 Boss 302 and would have to say it was the best overall Mustang I've owned to date. I don't expect the Shelby to perform as well....as least not around corners.

The difference in feel from the 2011+ aluminum blocks to the 07-10 iron blocks is noticeable. I test drove a 2009 GT500 first, then my 2011 a few days later. Both are stupid fast and comfortable, but cornering the 2009 felt like it was plowing a bit compared to the 2011. Still more weight over that axle than a RoadRunner Boss, but its not such a dramatic increase. Handling upgrades make it a moot point in my opinion. SVT PP is a good handling package, but the rear shocks are ridiculously stiff.

TR-6060 can also take more abuse than the T56, but it does have an issue in some units with a 1-2 upshift lock/grind under high loads. MGW shifter and synth fluid upgrade really helps as does a WOT Box. Tremec offers upgraded hybrid synchro rings for all 6 gears, but 1-4 should eliminate the issue. It means a teardown and rebuild of the transmission, but a few Ive talked to who have done the upgrade are very pleased with the results.

In a month or two my trans is going to the local Tremec dealer for said rebuild.

Race Red Boss

Established Member
The difference in feel from the 2011+ aluminum blocks to the 07-10 iron blocks is noticeable. I test drove a 2009 GT500 first, then my 2011 a few days later. Both are stupid fast and comfortable, but cornering the 2009 felt like it was plowing a bit compared to the 2011. Still more weight over that axle than a RoadRunner Boss, but its not such a dramatic increase. Handling upgrades make it a moot point in my opinion. SVT PP is a good handling package, but the rear shocks are ridiculously stiff.

TR-6060 can also take more abuse than the T56, but it does have an issue in some units with a 1-2 upshift lock/grind under high loads. MGW shifter and synth fluid upgrade really helps as does a WOT Box. Tremec offers upgraded hybrid synchro rings for all 6 gears, but 1-4 should eliminate the issue. It means a teardown and rebuild of the transmission, but a few Ive talked to who have done the upgrade are very pleased with the results.

In a month or two my trans is going to the local Tremec dealer for said rebuild.

Thanks for the feedback. The iron block seems to be the culprit in the earlier Shelbys, making them a bit more front heavy. I'm not really planning to do a lot of corner carving in it, so not too concerned about that.....more interested in just having some fun in a straight line periodically. I've also read about the 1-2 shift problem some owners seem to face. That would be super annoying.

I do like the fact that it sounds like the Shelbys are a bit more refined than the 03/04 Cobras, which were pretty raw. The 07 Kona Blue Shelby I'm looking at only has 15K miles on it and pretty much stock, except for a K&N filter. Its a one owner car as well.

mgmustang1

Established Member
07 had a clutch issue and also the balancer has to be the 08+ version much lighter when doing a pulley swap. Puts too much strain on the crank.

Zedeater

Good from far
Established Member
Hi All,

Looking at purchasing a low mile 2007 GT500. Any tips on what to beware of and/or general thoughts on the car.

Thanks!!

The only thing to be aware of are the crank shaft balancer on just the 2007 being a bit of a problem that was fixed/changed starting in 2008. I've also heard that some can have clutch issues with the 2007 - 2009 cars but I have no first hand knowledge of this so take it with a grain of salt. I'm sure some of those owners will be in here shortly to give you the straight goods. As far as upgrades go, these cars really respond well to a intake & tune upgrade. A smaller blower pulley to increase the amount of boost the blower makes is also a sure way to put a smile on your face!

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
Most 07-09 cars don’t have the 1/2 shifting issue the 11+ cars do.... or so I’ve read. Mine shifted excellent.

Balancer needs to be replaced with 08+. Clutch should be replaced with an 09+ or aftermarket.

After that, a 2.3 TVS and supporting mods and it makes 700 wheel without even sweating.

I loved my 07!

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Black Cobra '99

Established Member
Most 07-09 cars don’t have the 1/2 shifting issue the 11+ cars do.... or so I’ve read. Mine shifted excellent.

While this is true, the MGW shifter is great upgrade and seeing how shifting is an important aspect in driving I highly recommend upgrading.
Also, a heat exchanger is a must. The factory one is pathetic.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
While this is true, the MGW shifter is great upgrade and seeing how shifting is an important aspect in driving I highly recommend upgrading.
Also, a heat exchanger is a must. The factory one is pathetic.
When I installed my VMP heat exchanger I openly laughed at how pathetic the factory "heat exchanger" is. Im shocked anyone on the dev team thought it was anywhere near adequate.

JBN

Le Chupacobra
Established Member
I had an 03 Cobra. 2.3 whipple and supporting mods. Rode great and cornered well. I liked the seats a little better also. It made right at 600rwhp and you knew it when you floored it. I also liked it having an irs.

I now own an ‘07 GT500. Trinity tvs with supporting mods, making just a tick under 700. The refinement and technology is obvious. When you floor this one, my initial thought was how “comfortable” the car felt while accelerating. Corners ok, I’d say on par with my old 03. I don’t care for the stock seats and would’ve liked to see the irs in this car.

The 2 cars are completely different in every manner aside from forced induction v8’s and 6 speeds, but even those are completely different.

Depending on what you’re really wanting, you won’t be disappointed in either one. I’d buy another 03 in a heartbeat.

StrayBullitt

Established Member
I can't really compare / contrast with a Cobra, been awhile since I drove one, but I did go from a new edge car to my 2010. It really is a bigger and more comfortable Car to drive and just feels like a safer and more stable vehicle imo. I like the seating and shifter positions much better, even just getting in and out of it day to day is easier. I have the 1-2 issue, however my Buddy with an 08 doesn't seem to.

Good luck on your decision, seems like a 15k 1 owner car may be a good candidate.

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Owned an 03' for 7 years, have had my 07' for 8 years now, and agree with all comments above. The 07' is a superior car, bigger, more comfortable, heavier and more powerful, and slightly easier to make it go "fast". But there's something about the 03/04's. They are a blast to drive, great looking, and are rapidly becoming a true collector car. Check out our Market forum. For every add to sell, there's five adds to buy. I am currently in the market to get back into an 03/04', but will not be selling the GT500.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread