Need info on rear spring swap

LeathalSVT

Sinister
Established Member
Can some one give me the link referancing the easist way to change the rear springs on the 03 Cobra. I saw it on here not too long ago not I can't seem to locate it now that I need it again . Any help will be much apprecated! :)

Narcosynthesis

Knees in the Breeze!
Established Member
Drop the rear. It's two bolts. Need a jack to support the rear while you drop it, actually it's more like rotating it down. Then yank those bishes out of there.

TRBO VNM

the easiest way I found was do each side at a time. remove both IRS bolts, the front one and rear. Make sure it is supported to relieve the pressure off the bolts in order to remove them. I also removed the lower bolt holding the shock on the arm. Lower your tranny jack or whatever you are using to support the IRS. You might need to give a slight tug down on the arm(not sure if it is also called a-arm like the front is, but it is what the disc brake is mounted to). The pull the spring out from the top. Don't try to pull it up from the bottom of the spring. Mine just basically fell out.

Make sure the isolators are on correctly. I taped them on just like the factory did. Towards the top part of the spring at the wheel well, you will see that the spring could rub the wheel well. I took pliers and bent it out just a little so it wouldn't rub. Some people said they got noises from this. I am not getting any noises.

Then jack up the front or back of the IRS and put the bolt in. I wouldn't tighten down until both bolts are in. The front of the IRS might be a pain to line up. You might need to use a pry or crow bar to get it lined up. We applied the pressure by the rear mounting location. So we did put the front bolt in first. This is a prime time to put the 14mm bolts in the front if you have them...if you don't, buy them.

Repeat for the other side.

03yllwguy

Daily driven since 2003
Established Member
DITTO the above, don't bother with a spring compressor, I have 5 wasted hours and bloody hands prooving that theory to be true, just drop the irs as stated above, some say the spring compressor is an easy route and yadi yada, not for me atleast, drop the IRS!!!

LeathalSVT

Sinister
Established Member
OK Does anyone have a pic of the 2 IRS bolts that come out to remove the rear springs? I'm taking by the discriptions you guys gave that they are the are the 2 that go through the front and rear bushings, not the one's that mount to the body or frame of the car.

Thanks guys

TRBO VNM

that is correct. The front one's are the ones going into the torq boxes. the rears..hard to explain. But, to make it easier, look for the large black thick tube. Like 3" or more around. Anyway, follow that and those are the 4 you remove. good luck

Users who are viewing this thread