need info on bikes

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
In the end, you need to get what's comfortable for YOU, not for anyone else. It all depends on the person as to what bike they can or can't handle. Some people can handle a bigger bike and will be responsible with it, some can't. Just be honest with yourself, be careful, and ride like you're invisible. Btw, this was the first street bike I'd ever owned:

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
Originally posted by flyn high again
There's always an exception to the rule. Props to you for keeping your first bike and not wiping it. :beer:

BTW, oil your chain...:p

LoL, thanks. It's not rusty, it's an aftermarket chain, just looks dirty in that pic.

ForcedInduction

I would after to agree with a majority of the replies. The most important thing you can do is take the Motorcycle Safety Foundations Rider Course. MSF Site The rest of it is personal preference. In your original post, you mentioned riding experience on dirt bikes, ATVs and snowmobiles. Did you learn to ride dirt bikes on a CR500, ATVs on a Banshee, or snowmobiles on Thundercat? Learning to ride a street bike on a CBR1000 would be similar to these examples.

FWIW - My riding experience was similar to yours and this is what I did. I bought a new 1998 Suzuki Katana 600 (much slower than any other 600, but I great first bike for me) and took the MSF course with a month or two of buying the bike. I rode the Katana for about 4 years and 12,500 miles. After gaining very vaulable street experience, I upgraded to a slightly used 2001 Aprilia SL1000 Falco. I felt very comfortable on the Aprilia from day one. But if I would have had the Aprilia first, I may not be riding bikes today. (Possible injury/accident and the shear power & speed of the big bore bikes scary and intimidating.)

Just my $.02

Here is a picture of the Aprilia. (Not the best quality picture.)

hydroshutter

don't worry about it
Established Member
Originally posted by lachj1
I've never owned a street bike and want to get into it. I've ridden snowmobiles and quads my whole life and a little experience with a motocross bike. I'm leaning toward Honda because I have friends that own the dealership. I'm thinking about the cbr600rr, I don't know if I'll outgrow this bike quickly or should I go for the cbr1000rr coming out in the spring?

I've owned a 600rr and it is nothing short of BADASS!!!!:beer: :beer: :rockon:

hydroshutter

don't worry about it
Established Member
Oh damn I forgot to mention.. I wrecked mine and got a concussion, torn ligaments in my arm and shoulder and separated some bones in my right shoulder blade...I'd buy another one..(doesn't that sound like I didn't learn my lesson the first time?) lol

94RedCobra

Established Member
Honestly, the new 600s have amazing amounts of power. Even my YZF600R has about 100 horspower. Just some simple math, say the bike and rider weigh 600 lbs, that is a power to weight ratio of 6 lbs per horsepower. Few cars in the world get close to that. Do the smart thing and wait on the litre bikes. They are awesome machines but require a lot of respect. To a newbie rider, a 600 will put the same grin on your face as a 1000.

Also, it doesn't hurt to look for a used 600 in case you drop it (pretty likely), you won't feel as bad about scratching up the plastic on a used bike versus a brand new bike.

Lastly, be smart and remember, a good rider a on a 600 will always beat the less skilled rider on a 1000.

Peace!

Users who are viewing this thread