need info on bikes

lachj1

Established Member
I've never owned a street bike and want to get into it. I've ridden snowmobiles and quads my whole life and a little experience with a motocross bike. I'm leaning toward Honda because I have friends that own the dealership. I'm thinking about the cbr600rr, I don't know if I'll outgrow this bike quickly or should I go for the cbr1000rr coming out in the spring?

Rearpl8tsinsite

QQQQ
Established Member
OK here is the scoop on bikes. The average person that bought a Ninja 250 back in the day had a life expectancy of 2.5 years. If you get the 1000 you better cover your back well because the first time you gun it you are gonna loop it. Get the smaller size engine first till you get used to it.

A friend thought he was bad ass getting a 1200 and thought he would own any bike at the track. LMAO at his first race against a 750. He got so squirly he somehow fell off the back but managed to hold on to the handle bars while trying to run 20 mph to keep up. I ran a quicker time without nitrous and still love to give him shit.

2L8IWON

"I'm on the Mutha Fugger"
Established Member
I disagree. Get the bike that you want! The 1000 is no more dangerous than a 600, just watch how hard you twist that throttle. I bought my first sport bike not having ANY riding experience and really wish that I had listened to all of my friends and bought the R1 and not the R6. Remember that you control the bike, the bike doesn't control you. You should be good to go given your previous riding experience (granted quads and street bike are totally different animals).

Good Luck and if you are looking for a 600 I have a 2003 R6 for sale for 5G, 700 miles. It happened to beat out the CBR600RR in every comparison.

Need to get rid of it because I'm going to Afghanistan at the beginning of next month.

Later
Jess

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
I'm a bike newbie. Just got my first streetbike in November. It's a Kawasaki Z1000. I took an intensive 2 day Motorcycle Safety course and it was the best thing I could have done.
Get the bike you want and take your time learning to handle it. Don't do anything stupid to impress your buddies.

flyn high again

You are getting sleepy...
Established Member
I wouldn't recommend a liter bike or larger as a first bike unless you firmly promise yourself to learn to ride it before you start to crank it. You can get in trouble REALLY FAST [intentional pun]. I would suggest buying a used 600 and learning on that. Then sell it [without taking the big loss you will if you buy a new one] and get a bigger bike once you are comfortable with riding. Unless, of course, you like doing uncontrolled wheelies at 100mph. :)

racerat

200+mph Boss-O-Matic!
Established Member
Originally posted by flyn high again
I wouldn't recommend a liter bike or larger as a first bike unless you firmly promise yourself to learn to ride it before you start to crank it. You can get in trouble REALLY FAST [intentional pun].
but it was orange and the prettiest one...I don't like to go fast anyway...no way I'm ever going to crank it...speed isn't important to me....I just want the power in case I need it to get out of a bad situation...

lachj1: if you find yourself repeating any of those things, get the smaller bike first.

Nice choice of Cobra btw. :beer:

Last edited:

cobra93teal

Psycho Pilot Racing
Established Member
let me tell u what.....it depends on the person u r. Everyone says they wont be stupid on a bike(thats a lie) if u can controll yourself from being stupid on it get the biggger bike. i first got a new zx6r rode it for 2 yrs then got a new R1(which is now for sale) once u get a smaller bike and ride it or a while u will want something with more power! THERE IS ONE THING TO REMEMBER OVER ANYTHING......THEY ARE ALL TO FAST(I KNOW IT SEEMS IMPOSSIBLE) BUT NO MATTER WHAT SIZE THEY ARE A BLAST. I know a lot of people that have purchased bikes and almost(or have) killed themselves. But i know more other people that have been riding for a while with no real problems. I have been riding my own bikes for 4 years with nothing but some close calls. but the temptation to do stopies and ride wheelies will overtake u and u will be doing it!(i said i would never....now highway wheelie all the time:) best of luck and remember watch out for the other guy!

lachj1

Established Member
I knew I'd get mixed opinions. The crew I'm riding with are newbies also and they are on the mellow side, so no pressure to do crazy things from them. I'm the kind of person that wants something new. If I did get the 600 I'm afraid that I will be selling at summers end and taking a hit on it.
Actually I get these responses from some people but i don't let that bother me. "You want a 600?, my sister has a 700". They're bustin my ass.
Serously though I don't know what kind of power a 600 has. Some say the new 600's go really good and some say it's going to lag power.

Rearpl8tsinsite

QQQQ
Established Member
I had an experience on a 600 that was getting painted at a body shop I worked at. I took off slow then hammered it and could not hold the front down. Second gear did the same thing. I have ridden a ton of dirtbikes and they are in no comparison to full throttle on a street bike. I have not had the desire to ride anything more than that 600 that almost threw me off when my friends warned me.

Get a 1000 if it is what you really want. Just be ready for a big surprise when you punch it. And don't punch it with a car behind you to run you over.

72 fastback

Established Member
hey lachj1 i sold my 03 gsxr1000 to buy a new cobra be careful man.if you buy a liter bike act like it needs broken in for a while never hit the throttle in a corner leaned over or anything silly.during a drag race i would shift hard into 4th gear(135 or so)and the bike would get loose and try to wheelie.and try to get one with a steering dampner(at least on a big suzuki).i miss it big time,the guy who bought it works with me he's been off work over a week with a concussion(helmet on)he cant remember what happened fully.ill buy another tho.

flyn high again

Established Member
If I was going to buy a Harley, I'd get the V Rod and get POWER and looks.

img_VRSC_VRSCB.jpg

Last edited:

paxtu22

Established Member
I have been riding street bikes for 16 years. My first advice to you is to do what Racerat did and take a motorcycle saftey class. I have taken both classes and highly recommend them to anyone who wants to start riding a street bike.
As far as your first bike goes, find something that you are comfortable on. I used to ride a Honda XX turbo. The bike was wicked fast (204 hp on a Harley dyno), but I could never get comfortable so I sold it and bought a Valkyrie. It is much slower, but I ride alot more than I did the XX.

Eric

gyacopetti

Super Crazy SVT Poster
Established Member
In no way am i trying to highjack the thread, but i didnt want to start a new one. What would be the best way to learn how to ride? Dont have any experience and dont want to buy a bike, just want to learn.

And you should get the 1000, and just be careful, that way, if you get an itch for more power, you wont have to take the hit by selling the 600

flyn high again

Established Member
Originally posted by gyacopetti
In no way am i trying to highjack the thread, but i didnt want to start a new one. What would be the best way to learn how to ride? Dont have any experience and dont want to buy a bike, just want to learn.

And you should get the 1000, and just be careful, that way, if you get an itch for more power, you wont have to take the hit by selling the 600

Take a motorcycle safety class. They are usually sponsored by your state's motor vehicle dept. In Illinois, they supply the bikes if you need one and you don't have to take the driving test because they do it in class. I highly recommend it.

If you buy a used 600, you may get more than you paid for it when you sell it if you shop around. You never keep the first bike you get anyways and it's a lot easier when you don't have to be so scared of the power when you are learning. A 600 will have plenty of balls for a beginner. Just my opinion [30+ years of riding bikes].

stevieb

Established Member
Get a Harley. otherwise between the sport bike and the Cobra you may loose your license faster than you want with all the tickets you will accumulate. Not to mention the personal injury factor on a sport bike versus a Harley. The Harley will hold its value wheras a sport bike drops drastically, I have a 99 Fatboy and paid $15k out the door in 98. Stock w/o mods it was worth $16k last summer (for mods add 10-30%)w/20k miles
Just my .02

Users who are viewing this thread