Need help!!!

snikashady

Established Member
PLEASE HELP! Hey guys it has been a while and just got my second L it is a 99 red with a PRO-M CAI system and MAF everything else is stock from what I can tell, the L has just over 26k miles but has been sitting for very long time dont know how long, got it from a dealer here in Honolulu and it had a half tank of gas do not know if they used 92 octane or not and I used that gas up and filled with 92 octane now I have used about half of that. But let me back up so the truck Idles at about 500-600 rpms and every few seconds it has a studder this morning on my way to work it was running fine and strong I think it has been running rich though, I was at a stop light and started to take off and I had no power and I was unable to give it much throttle too much throttle would bog it down and nothing would happen, I am thinking of doing a full tune up and replacing the fuel filter request some help on what may be wrong. All the belts look ok and everything is spinning and I dont see any belt slippage. Also anyone know of a shop here in or near Honolulu, Wish DMP was here in Honolulu.

Mike:??::??::shrug:

leo2hot4tv

Established Member
This happened with my old Mustang. Two plugs were fouled. Check your plugs and change out the fuel filter. Clean the IAC too, it can't hurt.

snikashady

Established Member
UPDATE!!! So i changed my fuel filter and plugs and coils hooked everything back up and the truck started but same issues, I then disconnected my MAF and started the truck and it runs alot better but no boost is this normal when the MAF is disconnected? so now I need a new MAF. I want to go with SCT but I was told by a shop here in hawaii that if I changed the MAF I would have to get a tune, is that True????????

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
+1 on stock MAF. I had the same problem when i had a MAFia crap out on me. Luckily i barely got it the gas station and took the MAFia off and then it drove great. Just didn't get into boost though. Change the MAF and let us know how she drives.

snikashady

Established Member
Yeah I ordered a Maf from the same company just to get it back to the way it was it will be here on friday and since I live on an island no one had any stock Mafs anyways, I used TR-6 spark plugs and gapped them for 35-36 once the Maf issue is fixed I am installing my 4#er

snikashady

Established Member
WTF man i just replaced my MAF and no go when i give it gas and try for boost it bogs down and almost dies I do not know what else to check this is killing me

fruhdaddy

Established Member
what size MAF did you get? 99/00 are smaller than 01-04 and will need a custom tune to account for it if you bought the bigger one. Also if on stock pullies, use OEM motorcraft plugs and stock gap. I had issues with TR6 on stock boost level, OEM plug fixed my issue

WhiTriCobra

PDP
Established Member
+1, did you get the same year oem 99-00 or a 01+? Also do you have a tune? Any CEL lights?

Jroc

Established Member
OP sometimes it just pays off in the long run to take it to a Ford dealer and spend the money to have them diagnose the problem. Call the local dealership and tell them what it's doing and have them give you a set price on what they will charge you to diagnose the issue. That might not sound sexy on a car forum but it good advice.

It's better than replacing 50 things that aren't broken on a truck with only 26,000 miles.

4rd Toys

Polishing my SVTs....
Established Member
I had a similar issue about 8 years ago BUT I had to have mine towed to the nearest Ford dealer-
The crazy part is according to the dealer:
They had to drop the fuel tank & replace the fuel pump inlet filter which was a supposedly $35 part.
They claim that since I shipped my L which the tank had to be between "E -1/4 tank" that I had "dirty" gas that clogged my fuel pump filter causing the truck to go into "limp" mode.
Of course they had "enlisted" their master-master mechanic on the L so to them they felt justified to charge me $500 after all the investigation, inspection, tear-down, and re-assembly of the entire fuel system.
>>>
Just sharing my experience....
This happened to me within a week from picking it up at the Sealand /Horizon/Matson shipping yards

snikashady

Established Member
Ok new update i just checked the fuel pressure and I am only reading 11 psi and when i disconnect the FPR vacuum hose the pressure does not change the pressure goes slightly up when i give it gas. Do I need a new fuel pump or FPR or both?

fruhdaddy

Established Member
do both pumps hum or whine? My stock pumps looked "fine" too but one was shot. I was reading like 15 on idle. One pump had a cut in a wire and shorted out.

Users who are viewing this thread