Need help

RU8TNQT

Im a sexy s.o.b.
Established Member
Built a stock AMC 360 for a friends CJ7 when it was first put in the Jeep it ran awesome for about 1500 miles the owner isnt real mechanically savvy so he needed the brakes done and took it to a shop when he got it back he drove about 10 miles and it broke down. he narrowed it down to the Fuel pump put a new one on and ran out of gas. any way when he got it home he parked it and only drove a few m iles here and there not really sure how long but when I checked it out the timing wazs off which I think he screwed with and it was missing bad so looked around the motor and the brake booster vacuum line was disconnected and one of the vacuum caps was missing off of the carb, narrowed the miss down to 5 plugs when I pulled them out this is what I found.

this pic is of two plugs that look like they were hit by the piston but the engine is still running and not knocking in any way and has new plugs same brand an number R44xls
0212001710a.jpg

this is another plug that is broken but it has no damage other than the porcelain on the electrode slides up and down the metal electrode
0212001710.jpg

0212001709.jpg

I am thnking the porcelain broke apart on the spark plug and that is what his the plugs not the piston.
any help would be apprecitated

Last edited:

BlueOvle

Are you sure the shop he took it to didnt do this? If it ran good for the first 1500 miles and now all of a sudden doesnt I would start to think they were looking for a little extra business. I would put a new set of plugs in it and turn it over by hand and take a look at the plugs. If you had something bad going on inside i highly doubt it would take out 5 cylinders at once.

recalcitrant

Established Member
Are you sure the shop he took it to didnt do this? If it ran good for the first 1500 miles and now all of a sudden doesnt I would start to think they were looking for a little extra business. I would put a new set of plugs in it and turn it over by hand and take a look at the plugs. If you had something bad going on inside i highly doubt it would take out 5 cylinders at once.

I agree. I've had 1 get blown out. Possibly 2. But only from losing bottom end bearings. Does the front of the crank have any play when you grab it and move it?

RU8TNQT

Im a sexy s.o.b.
Established Member
no end play but I havent got the motor out yet the engine doesnt knock at all either quiet as it always was so I'm guessing the pistons are shot I was thinking maybe the shop had somethin to do with it cause its a little coincidental but cant prove anything we're gonna try going after AC Delco to get the engine fixed I dont wanna do it again

Users who are viewing this thread