Need help with front drag wheels

MVD

Established Member
I have been searching a lot lately and I am stuck.

Basically what I want to do is run a set of skinnies at the track but still be able to run stock wheels on the street. A 15" wheel will not clear the front claiper so a wheel spacer is needed (seems like at least a 1" spacer will work). Well if you get a wheel spacer that big then you need longer studs. With longer studs you will not be able to run the stock wheels (without using open lugs).

So if there is a 16" front runner out there that would be a huge help because I can not find one. If not, then how are people running a 15" skinny and still using street wheels.

Certainly someone has to have a setup like this.......TIA:beer:

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
A bunch of us are running 15" skinnies at the track and some even run them fairly regularly on the street, although I wouldn't recommend it. I'm running 15 x 3.5" Weld Prostars with 1.25" hubcentric spacers that have wheel studs already pressed into them To install on the car, you just bolt on the spacer and then bolt the rim ight onto te spacer with 1.3" shank, open ended lug nuts. You do not need to get longer wheel studs. With tires, rims (got mine from Jeggs), and lug nuts, you're looking at about $400 total and will save you approx 50 lbs off the front of the car, and provide less rolling resistance.

Soap

Established Member
IronTerp said:
I'm running 15 x 3.5" Weld Prostars with 1.25" hubcentric spacers that have wheel studs already pressed into them.

Good info.

--Joe

Last edited:

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
IronTerp said:
A bunch of us are running 15" skinnies at the track and some even run them fairly regularly on the street, although I wouldn't recommend it. I'm running 15 x 3.5" Weld Prostars with 1.25" hubcentric spacers that have wheel studs already pressed into them To install on the car, you just bolt on the spacer and then bolt the rim ight onto te spacer with 1.3" shank, open ended lug nuts. You do not need to get longer wheel studs. With tires, rims (got mine from Jeggs), and lug nuts, you're looking at about $400 total and will save you approx 50 lbs off the front of the car, and provide less rolling resistance.

+1.... That's what I'm doing. Except I'm running 1" spacers so I had to cut off the starter part of the stock stud, but the stock wheels still go back on fine. Here's two pics of mine....first two pics are with the stock wheels, the spacers are off in the front but I kept them on in the rear. Second two pics are with the spacers all around on 15" Prostars...

108805.jpg

108804.jpg

108801.jpg

108802.jpg

MVD

Established Member
96stanggt said:
Here's two pics of mine....first two pics are with the stock wheels, the spacers are off in the front but I kept them on in the rear. Second two pics are with the spacers all around on 15" Prostars...

Do you have a 1" spacer on the rear too? What size rear wheel are you running (15x10?). Did you have to do any grinding on the rear (tie rod etc?)

Thanks.

96stanggt

Blower Whine Junkie
Established Member
I have a 1" spacer on the rear also to help clear the calipers. The rear prostar is a 15x8.....I had to grind a bit on the tie rod and spindle. But they work perfect..... 1.6 60's last night w/ a shitty track prep and the weather dipping into the lower 50's.

trey193

Established Member
I am totally fine with spacers on the front but the rear I just dont know about yet. I am getting ready to order Pro Stars and for the front I will use the 1inch spacer and trim the studs, rear I am either going with 15-8 4.5 BS no spacer or go with a 16-10 with a 6.5 BS and a spacer. Most likely will just go with the 8's at this point.

xtremejc

Boost Addict
Established Member
I don't think spacers are illegal as long as they are being used with race studs. I belive the rules state that the studs must go through the spacer, wheel, open lugnut, and still show 1 full stud diameter worth of thread past the lugnut.

Having said that I would highly recommend the CCW Drag Pack 16" wheel setup for an easy bolt on setup given that you have the cash to invest in a set of drag specific wheels...

s_15.jpg

s_14.jpg

s_11.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread