Need help with front caliper.

d-nice

Established Member
Today I tried to figure out the noise that is coming from my front wheel every time I hit a bump. Its been awhile since I have messed with brakes so can anyone tell me what the next step should be. I took some pictures and a short video of the noise. Does it look like all the correct pieces are on the caliper?

And I know that the caliper is dirty and rusted etc etc....

DSCN1178.jpg

DSCN1180.jpg

The pin at the bottom does have some play back and forth.
DSCN1179.jpg

And the video of the noise.
[ame=http://s152.photobucket.com/albums/s190/darrenr522/03%20DSG%20Cobra/?action=view&current=DSCN1182.flv]
th_DSCN1182.jpg
[/ame]

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
everything looks where it should be :shrug:

it prolly just needs pads, etc

i would also make sure that hose is routed correctly, tough to tell from the vid but looks like it doesnt have any slack

best of luck with it!

d-nice

Established Member
The hose does have enough slack in it. Before I bought the car (in September 09) the dealer put on new rotors and pads. I have only driven about 1000 miles since.

slvr35th

Established Member
I had this same problem. But i didnt have the anti rattle kit in mine that what was causing the noise. I have also heard if you dont silicone the pads in place then they will rattle too. But at the local parts store you can buy the anti rattle kit and i think it comes with new pin and clip for both sides. It was under $10 for the kit. good luck with it
Brake Best Hardware/Hydraulics H5450 - Disc Brake Pad Clip | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Wagner H5048 - Brake Guide Pin 2004 Ford Mustang | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Replace these items and silcone your pads and i bet it helps your problem.:beer:

slvr35th

Established Member
also after watching your video, the rotor can rattle some because it is not pressed in place by your wheel.

d-nice

Established Member
I had this same problem. But i didnt have the anti rattle kit in mine that what was causing the noise. I have also heard if you dont silicone the pads in place then they will rattle too. But at the local parts store you can buy the anti rattle kit and i think it comes with new pin and clip for both sides. It was under $10 for the kit. good luck with it
Brake Best Hardware/Hydraulics H5450 - Disc Brake Pad Clip | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Wagner H5048 - Brake Guide Pin 2004 Ford Mustang | O'Reilly Auto Parts
Replace these items and silcone your pads and i bet it helps your problem.:beer:

Thanks for the link. I didnt installl the pads but thats what I was thinking. I noticed that the pin had some play in it.

also after watching your video, the rotor can rattle some because it is not pressed in place by your wheel.

You cant really see it in the video, but I had one of the lug nuts tightened down on the rotor.

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
You may just need a fresh set of anti-rattle clips on your pads. Some pads you can easily remove the clips, many come with integrated clips.

Also, the dust shield on the inboard face of the rotor can create some noise. Gently deflecting/bending the shield to eliminate the rattle/tap can help. We're talking less than one (1) mm of bending around each rivet. There are three (3) rivets that clamp it to the spindle. If this is the source of the rattle/tap and you use this method, make sure the dust shield does not come in contact with the rotor.

The pin should be able to slide in and out about 1 or 2 mm, so the play you are describing is normal. Sometimes a quick disassemble/reassemble can remedy such noises, too.

Last edited:

d-nice

Established Member
I'm going to get the anti rattle kit and change the pins and clips out this weekend. I see if that works. For ten bucks its worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread