Need help with breaking in my new motor

milenko1247

Established Member
Check it out guys, my motor is just about done and I just want to know if I can break my car in on its current tune. It was tuned with a vortech supercharger at 14#s of boost. Im going turbo but I do not have my turbo yet. Is it ok to break my car in without the turbo on it with the vortech tune and just runin straight pipes? Is this ok, or is this really bad?

SRT_2_SVT

Established Member
Basic tune for now and keep the RPM's low cruising around town for the first 500 or so miles. When shes good a broke in and after a couple oil changes at about 100 miles and again at 400 miles to ensure there is no new motor shrads floating around in there, throw it on the dyno for a good tune and let it rip.

Last edited:

DTSVT03

Why try?
Established Member
Basic tune for now and keep the RPM's low cruising around town for the first 500 or so miles. When shes good a broke in and after a couple oil changes at about 100 miles and again at 400 miles to ensure there is no new motor shrads floating around in there, throw it on the dyno for a good tune and let it rip.

+1. That's what I did, but I already had the turbo kit on there. First 500miles was on 10lbs, then 1k miles on 14lbs and at 1500miles turned it up to 18lbs.

TRBO VNM

Honestly, talk to your engine builder on how he wants it broken in. Follow his direction and if you have issues then it is on him.

Everyone has an opinion on how it should be broken in and what was posted above is not the way my builder recommends. Just cruising around won't seat the rings. My builder believes that once you check and top fluids off, go out and hit it. Not necessarily wot but don't be affraid to ring it up to 4500rpm or so. Drive it aggressive, not like grandma. He does that for a couple hundred miles and then puts it on the dyno. But again, talk to your builder. This is what my guy recommends and he has been building engines for over 30yrs.

Oil changes, here is what I do

napa 5w30. It is cheap and made by valvoline. Change it after you do a couple heat cycles while topping off fluids and checking for leaks, burping cooling system. Then change it at 500, 1500, 3000 miles and the. Every 3000 after that. Usually change to syn at 9000 miles

Last edited:

milenko1247

Established Member
Thanks for the input guys. I forgot to mention that i went down on compression from 9.1 to 8.5. .. but anyways, my tuner told me that it would be fine to run it with the current tune, and he told me no to just get on it

HIPSI

Established Member
My engine builder says 15/40 rotella for break in nothing else run it /drive for 1 hr dump oil put in what ever you use and beat the shit out of it rgr race engines

76mmsaleen

Established Member
Tim@mph told me to run the shit out of my motor to break it in.. He said run valvoline 5 40 in it.... I change my oil every 1000 miles in it just cause..

Users who are viewing this thread