Need help with brakes

Adower

Established Member
I am installing my stop-tech st40 brakes on my 98 cobra. I installed the stainless lines into the back of the caliper no problem. However, the other end of the line that goes into hardline on the car has a small amount of fluid coming from the threads when I connect the two. I took the line off several times and kept trying to make that connection but no matter what I do there is a small amount of brake fluid that appears from the threads of the connection.

I am 100% sure I did not cross thread anything as I am threading the fittings with my finger and then tightening with a flare wrench.

also this leak is happening with pressure static. I’m not even pushing on the brakes and have not bled them as well.

Any idea of what I need to do?

Last edited:

Boosted08

Established Member
What brand stainless hoses? I recently installed J&M and had the same issue. I ended up holding the opposite side with a wrench to hold the line better for more grip then used my line wrench to crank it down and it stopped leaking.

Adower

Established Member
What brand stainless hoses? I recently installed J&M and had the same issue. I ended up holding the opposite side with a wrench to hold the line better for more grip then used my line wrench to crank it down and it stopped leaking.

Is there any type of sealants to put on the threads?

Low Class Yuppie

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Is there supposed to be a copper washer on that end as well, I can't remember.

There shouldn't be. The flares on the hard line and the flex line should "interface" with each other if they are torqued down enough. I didn't have this issue with my Cobra, but on my Corvette, I was nervous about using too much torque when I really just needed to crank down to stop the new line from leaking.

Adower

Established Member
Is there supposed to be a copper washer on that end as well, I can't remember.

No, the copper washer goes through the banjo bolt into the caliper. I'm working on the other end where the line goes into the hard line on the car.

Adower

Established Member
There shouldn't be. The flares on the hard line and the flex line should "interface" with each other if they are torqued down enough. I didn't have this issue with my Cobra, but on my Corvette, I was nervous about using too much torque when I really just needed to crank down to stop the new line from leaking.

That's where I was a little worried. The instructions say tighten to 14ft lbs of torque. I think that my issue is I'm not really cranking on them.

Adower

Established Member
Darn. I snugged them down but am still seeing fluid on the threads.

Boosted08

Established Member
Did you hold the other side with a wrench? It allows you to get more torque to the flared side as energy won’t be waisted as the line bends down. This is what I had to do to get the line tight.

Adower

Established Member
Did you hold the other side with a wrench? It allows you to get more torque to the flared side as energy won’t be waisted as the line bends down. This is what I had to do to get the line tight.
Yes. I put a wrench on it. The wrench I have is tiny though. It’s hard to get leverage on it. I need to find a pipe or something to put over it and really torque it down.

Wondering if I need to reflare the line if it doesn’t work

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread