Need help with belt length

MVD

Established Member
Anyone running a 2.93/6# combo with a 3.5" alternator pulley and all 4 idlers (three 100mm and one 92mm), with OEM tensioner. What length belt are you using.

I searched and came up empty. I appreciate the help.

MVD

Established Member
BTW, I looked on Bob's site but something doesn't seem right.

Currently I run a 81.0" belt for a 2.93/4# with a 3.2 alternator pulley and all 4 idlers. So I assume I will be near a 82" belt maybe 81.5". But Bob's chart says 79.7" for the 2.93/6# combo.......there is no way that will work on my car.

Also my tensioner right now has about 1/3 of the travel left.

Thanks.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
As stated on my website, many of the configurations should on my website have not been tested/confirmed. I wish the information was 100% correct but it came from a huge number of different sources over the years. I have thought about removing the page entirely but every time I do that someone else tells me don't. Sorry if you run into a configuration that appears to be wrong. If I am notified that a particular configuration is wrong, I will remove it or update it. I just ask that it be confirmed either way so I do not remove it or change it unnecessarily/incorrectly. Thanks.

MVD

Established Member
I have thought about removing the page entirely but every time I do that someone else tells me don't. Sorry if you run into a configuration that appears to be wrong. If I am notified that a particular configuration is wrong, I will remove it or update it. I just ask that it be confirmed either way so I do not remove it or change it unnecessarily/incorrectly. Thanks.

I certainly do not think you should remove the chart I think it offers tons of help for a lot of applications.

TTT

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
Anyone running a 2.93/6# combo with a 3.5" alternator pulley and all 4 idlers (three 100mm and one 92mm), with OEM tensioner. What length belt are you using.

I'm running this exact setup with a 3.2" alternator pulley and am using an 82". I'd say 83" should be the one....... :beer:

wlg101190

Established Member
Oh and CobraBob, in case you were wandering, your info for the 81" belt, 2.93" upper, 4# lower, all 4 idlers, and 3.2 alt. pulley, is perfectly correct, for reassurance :).

MVD

Established Member
I'm running this exact setup with a 3.2" alternator pulley and am using an 82". I'd say 83" should be the one....... :beer:

You the man Dwight!! Does Gatorback even make a belt that length?? I checked their online catalog and could not find anything. What make belt are you using? Also how much play do you have left on the tensioner (are you even running the OEM tensioner)?? Also are there any reasons you did not switch to a 3.5" alternator pulley, which is what is recommended by Metco.

I looked at Gates online catalog as well and they list the following belts.....

80.6"
81.0" (which is what I currently run)
81.6"
81.7"
82.0"
82.5"
83.0"

So there are certainly plenty of options :beer:

Last edited:

IronTerp

Mid-Atlantic Cobra Assoc.
I've been running Gates' for the past 5 years with good success......factory tensioner is a little to the tight side with my setup. And MVD, here's a complete list of gatorback belts and they have what you're looking for and I feel they're just as good as the gates belts.

http://www.goodyearep.com/productsdetail.aspx?id=3128

I ran the stock 2.60" alternator pulley for 10,000 miles with the 4 lb lower with no issues. When I switched to the 6 lber this spring, I went ahead and upgraded to the 3.20". I'm one of those folks in the minority who feel the whole alternator pulley overspin/underspin controversy is overrated. I've just seen too many alternators go out with the stock lower to believe that there is increased incidence of failure with a bigger lower pulley........

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I certainly do not think you should remove the chart I think it offers tons of help for a lot of applications.

TTT

Thanks. I will continue to try to update the info when and where I can.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Oh and CobraBob, in case you were wandering, your info for the 81" belt, 2.93" upper, 4# lower, all 4 idlers, and 3.2 alt. pulley, is perfectly correct, for reassurance :).

Thanks buddy!! :thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread