Need help with 98 cobra engine

dklumpp

I have a factory five cobra that has the drivetrain out of a 98 cobra with a front mount vortech supercharger. I bought it not running guy said he rebuilt the motor after it spun a bearing. I put the car all back together and went to fire up the engine yesterday and it did fire up, however it is puking oil out of the corner of the drivers head where it meets the block (head gasket area) in the front. I asked the guy if he ever had the heads checked for warpage during the rebuild and he said no then blocked me lol. So im wondering if anyone has experienced this before? Im thinking its either a warped head or the head wasn't torqued correctly , wrong head gasket, or possibly its leaking from the front cover where it meets the engine block and head. Any ideas?

hotcobra03

Established Member
Sounds like front cover leaking..
If like the 03. There is a gasket for the cover but you do need to add a small dab of silicone is certain spots.

You should be able to Google a pdf file of engine assembly for your car ,

I used it while working on ours ,lots of footnotes to follow

dklumpp

That's what I thought at first as well however there is a LOT of oil coming out it probably puked out at least 1/2 quart in a couple of minutes

I_like_turtlez

Established Member
That's what I thought at first as well however there is a LOT of oil coming out it probably puked out at least 1/2 quart in a couple of minutes
Good Lord.. yeah that's definitely missing gasket/silicone(RTV black) rebuilding OHC's is not exactly for novices, there's almost always spots you have to silicone that aren't overly obvious

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds like he knew of this and there is an issue he did not divulge.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

dklumpp

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.co

Possibly. Either way I think the motor has to come back out. Anyone know a shop in the Phoenix area that's good with these motors?

01yellercobra

Established Member
You'd be amazed how much oil will get through without that RTV in place. I'd check those areas first before you start checking for machine shops.

hotcobra03

Established Member

See if this opens.
Pdf engine assembly

It gives 2 footnotes a photo of where to add silicone
6 spots,and than how to install the cover to get a good seal.

dklumpp

Here is where it's coming from

Attachments

• IMG_20231107_064128291~2.jpg
    IMG_20231107_064128291~2.jpg
    287.6 KB · Views: 44

Cobra Jet

Established Member

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

^^^ agree - and not to sound like a downer, but if the dude blocked the OP over a simple question about the oil leak, then there's probably other issues that were not divulged about the engine...

If the engine has to be pulled, if it were me, I'd certainly look that whole thing over very closely - maybe even pop the oil pan and check bearings...

--

OP,
Did the seller give you any type of receipts for the engine "rebuild" - or was this a Craigslist "rebuild"?

dklumpp

No receipts for sure. Yes if the engine comes out the whole thing will be rebuilt by someone who knows mod motors. Anyone know any shops in Phoenix?

Users who are viewing this thread