Need help with 03 driveshaft.

1999-COBRA-6661

[S]pecial[V]ehicle[T]eam
Established Member
I have a stock 03 aluminum driveshaft that I want to have installed when I get my diff rebuilt. I'm converting to 31 spline so I can use 03 halfshafts and I still have the stock T-45. From what I found so far I'm going to need to have it shortened one inch. Is there anything else I have to do ta make it work with my T-45 or a way to avoid getting it shortened?

Snake Eyes

Established Member
Both the front yoke and rear yoke will need to be swapped and it is already too short to start with. The T56 is a longer transmission so you may need a spacer. The driveshaft you need to shorten is the Ford racing piece for 94+ solid axle mustangs. The 03 shaft is quite different. Just Search.

1999-COBRA-6661

[S]pecial[V]ehicle[T]eam
Established Member
I tried searching around and I can't find anyone else that swapped an 03 Cobra shaft. If I'm getting my differential rebuilt with a stock 03 traction lock are you sure I still need to change the rear yoke? and can't I just take the front yoke off my stock driveshaft and use that with a 1" spacer?

birdman941

Illiterate Proofreader
Established Member
Unless I am missing something,
if you have a T45 you should be able to use an FRPP aluminum DS as is.
If you are using a T56 then you would use an 03-04 DS.

1999-COBRA-6661

[S]pecial[V]ehicle[T]eam
Established Member
Yes I have a stock T-45 but I ALREADY HAVE a stock 03 driveshaft that I want to use. I'm trying to figure out what I have to change on the 03 shaft to make it work. Should I just buy a FRPP DS or would it be cheeper to make this 03 DS I have work?

whitevenom99

Established Member
To make the 03 driveshaft work you need either 1 a spacer or 2 a T56. I would just buy a frpp drive shaft for a 99 gt and swap the flange that bolts up to the pinion from you current driveshaft. That is the only difference in a gt and cobra driveshaft.

1999-COBRA-6661

[S]pecial[V]ehicle[T]eam
Established Member
Why should I get the frpp if all I need is a 1 inch spacer? Is it because the spacer will need welded on and the shaft will need rebalenced and that will cost more than the frpp ds? Whatever costs less in the end is what I'll do I'm just having a hard time understanding because I already have the 03 shaft sitting in my garage. Its seems like its not going to be worth the trouble to get this 03 DS to work at this point, it sucks I wasted the money on it but I'll cut my losses if thats my best option.

pest36

Established Member
buy mine.. i never even installed it.
i wanna swap to a T56 over the summer anyway...

or we can even trade, + some cash from you since it was $250 new, plus $242 for cut and balance, + $30 for flange....

1999-COBRA-6661

[S]pecial[V]ehicle[T]eam
Established Member
Ok, send me a PM and we will figure this out. I have the stock 03 drive shaft still rapped up, I never even opened it.

Users who are viewing this thread