Need Help!! Turbo guys

jassoom55

Established Member
Hey guys

I have an EDP Turbo kit with MPR Built engine, L&M Custom cams, earlier today the car was on the dyno being tuned. the wastage's has the 10psi springs in it and G-force boost controller but for some reason when it reaches 5k rpm the boost just drops rapidly to 4-5PSI. I could not make any numbers or power either, we tried 15psi also same on 5k RPM the car just start to drop boost to 4-5PSI. for example I have the 10PSI springs it reaches the 10psi but as soon as it hits 5k or so RPM it start dropping boost. we could not continue tuning it because it was doing the same thing over and over, did more than 8 pulls tweaks in between.. nothing. any thoughts what that would be? or what's the problem here?

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
3" down pipe, and its an open cutout

If the cutout is under the car, could still be back pressure issue. I had a 3 inch that went to a 4 inch when it turned under the car, then dumped and still had issues. CPRsm uses a 5 inch down pipe on their kits. I didn't solve my issue until I went with a 4 inch down pipe. You are flowing more than me and you have custom cams. Fab up a quickie 4 inch shorty dump off the turbo and see what happens. This assumes no fuel, vacuum or other issue. I beat my head against the wall for a long time, everyone was sure 3 inch was plenty big and couldn't be the issue.

Last edited:

crfrider16

Heretic
Established Member
I had a similar problem that turned out to be a boost controller solenoid issue. As asked above, did your take the controller completely out of the question, and run just the gate spring?

jassoom55

Established Member
Im getting crazy over here, I have tried to unhook the boost controller, same thing, I changed the wastage springs to 12psi and run the turbo on wastage, same thing is happening. WHAT COULD IT BE, I'm loosing my mind here.

JTS_7

Established Member
Sounds like it could be a fire ring in the wastegate? Is it installed? If not that could very well be your issue. I would also check the diaphragm to make sure everything is good with it.

I remember hearing of this before.

Is your car black BTW? My friends friend who works at Ford posted a picture a few days back of a EDP kit locally.

Last edited:

jassoom55

Established Member
Yes it is black and everything was installed by Hugo(Bomber1k). Check the lines of wastage's for boost leaks and there was none, checked it with smoke machine also. checked the diaphragm also looks good. I don't know whats happening. the car has a built engine at MPR also. everything is done more than month ago, but I can't make any power and have fun with he car with boost dropping like this...

wakebum2507

EVLTWNS
Established Member
i had a wastegate issue that turned out to be one of the gates. mine however, was overboosting. there was something wrong with the gate, that was allowing pressure to get past the diaphragm, so it was effectively letting air escape from the bottom port to the area on top of the gate, adding a little boost. check ALL your lines, and double check the gates.

check your seal on everything as well.

Aaron has a good question about your valve springs as well. trickflows?

jassoom55

Established Member
Thanks for the reply I will double check everything again. it has the comp stage III valve springs with titanium retainers all from L&M Engines.

jassoom55

Established Member
I did three runs yesterday on the waste gates only without the boost controller, has the 12psi springs. one run went to 9psi up to 7.3k rpm without dropping boost. thats the only run I had with out dropping boost and its only to 9 and I have the 12psi springs in the waste gates, but rest of the runs was reaching 9psi on 5k rpm and then dropping to 4 or 3 sometimes 2psi.

wakebum2507

EVLTWNS
Established Member
if you're seeing inconsistencies, it's something else.

do you have a manual boost gauge too?

where are you pulling this boost reference you're seeing from?

jassoom55

Established Member
Yes I do have another boost gauge, and seeing the same thing in the boost controller and the other boost gauge, Im running out of options I don't know whats the problem, any more suggestions would be helpful. my cutout is located before the med pipe.

jassoom55

Established Member
When it was in the boost controller, it was reaching 10psi at 5k and then dropping to 3-4psi. with wastage's only and 12 psi springs Im seeing 9psi and then dropping again to 4-5 and then increasing again.

Users who are viewing this thread