Need help timing my 03 motor

Blitz34

Established Member
Hey there I've done some digging on google and in the how to section and can't seem to find a good write up or guide to time my 03 motor. I need a clear guide with the steps to properly reinstall the primary chains etc.

Can anyone help me? So far I've gathered set the #1 cylinder (passenger front) to TDC but am not clear on how to know when its at TDC..... Then before bolting the heads on the Cam Gear mark needs to be perpendicular to the head on both sides? When I pulled it apart I did take pictures however the drivers side head cam gear mark was pointed a little off from 90 degrees of the head. I know I could pay someone to do this but I'd rather be taught and do myself. I just need pictures showing exactly where things should be. Thanks in advance!

Blitz34

Established Member
Also I just recieved the heads back today for a valve job and the primary chain gear on the head or cam gear/cap not sure what its called is not torqued as they claimed they didn't have the tool for the rear of the cam to hold it in place. What would you suggest I use to torque it and what is the spec for it?

Blitz34

Established Member
Anybody? I've found some info that says set the keyway or notch in the cam facing down (6oclock) and the dots on the primary chain sprockets to 12 and 11 o clock to time the heads. My issue thus far is that after receiving my heads back today from a valve job my sprocket dots/ mark is facing the same direction as the key way and they move together causing me to wonder if the sprocket could have been installed wrong or the heads are not timed correctly. I really need some help guys. There aren't any shops out here that really work on these motors and I doubt ford will take a shortblock from the back of a truck and time it.

oldmodman

Established Member

hotcobra03

Established Member
Do a search again and add pdf to end...

many links on engine..

also autozone has the factory manual for free ..just register

SVT_Troy

Established Member
Ago to ford racing website and they have there timing instructions available for download there. If you can't find it I'll post it for you later.

Blitz34

Established Member
I cleared up my concerns with the head and someone emailed me the pdf from ford. I had did a search on here and tried the how to thread also and went several pages deep. All good now.

Blitz34

Established Member
Finished everything up and realized why I was confused. I was confusing the cam gear notch for the keyway on the cam and they are 180 out from eachother. I have the dark links on the chains lined up with the cam sprocket dots and the dot on the crank sprocket. This should be properly timed right?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434157898.336314.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434157910.674870.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434157921.277176.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434157932.782798.jpg

SVT_Troy

Established Member
From the pics all your timing marks are good. As long as you followed the directions according, putting the #1 cylinder at TDC then setting your timing marks you will be good to go. Make sure those Cam bolts are torque'd to spec.

Setting timing is easy, now degree'ing the cams in is a different story!

Blitz34

Established Member
Everything is lined up according to directions and the crank was at 10 o clock tdc before I ever bolted the head on. Bolts are torqued on the cam as well. Thanks for the input. Just needed reassurance being it was my first time digging this deep in one of these motors on my own.

SVT_Troy

Established Member
No prob. It's all a piece of cake, just take your time and double check over yourself. Continue to ask questions for reassurance.

Blitz34

Established Member
Just wanted to thank everyone for all the help in here. The car ran perfect for about 3 weeks and now has a tap/knock from either a clutch fork issue, lifter, or spun bearing. Not sure which yet but regardless the help was appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread