Need help on which headlights I should buy.

joshs00blkgt

Bulldawgs Amen
Established Member
OK long story short i had a jackass of an coworker that backed into my car. I am getting it replaced soon and i need some new headlights. I dont want a ricer look and looking for some smoked headlights. Im not sure which ones are the best for the silver stang so if you guys have any thoughts or anything let me know. Post pics of smoked headlights if you want!!!

Thanks

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
Ford tinted OEM headlights. I hope the jackass or his insurance are paying for these?

joshs00blkgt

Bulldawgs Amen
Established Member
Yea his insurance will be paying for it. It really isn't that bad and no damage done to the engine. It just roar up my hod and front bumper. I needed a new Hood so it kinda worked out foe the best.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I'm actually looking to buy a new set of headlights as well, so I'm glad this thread started. My headlights are starting to get foggy and glazed for the second time.

I've had the aftermarket smoked / clear corners installed on my car for the past 4 years, and they were a great improvement in the looks department. I really like these headlights, they don't look ricey at all!!

Being that these clear corner headlights are an "aftermarket" replacement, I noticed that they were lacking a little in quality. The adjusters were much less accurate and are made of a cheap plastic that strips easily. I actually stripped one out when I installed them the first time. I also noticed that the beam pattern was slightly different than the factory ones. At the time, I had HID bulbs, and the pattern looked great with the factory lights, but when I installed the aftermarket smoked lights with the clear corners, I had this annoying pattern on the ground that looked like two U's, one under each light. But since I couldn't adjust one of the lights properly, it was slightly crooked, and SO annoying. (It was close enough, it wasn't out of adjustment to the point of being a blinding hazard to oncoming drivers, but it was annoying for me).

Just be aware of the quality differences you might encounter with the aftermarket clear corner headlights. These are probably made by many different manufacturers in China, and I may have just gotten a pair that came from a bad batch or production run. Who knows, they may be much better now. Guess it's the luck of the draw.

I'd like to get a set of projector lights so I can properly convert to a nice set of HID's, but the only projectors they really sell for our cars are really RICEY, all the 6-cyl guys have them, plus they aren't even designed for HID bulbs.

It would be really nice if they made a set of glass headlight replacements like they do for cars such as the Toyota Supra. Most cars in Europe have glass headlights instead of plastic ones. They'd never fog or glaze!!

To make a long story short, I don't know if I'll re order the clear corner headlights again. It'll take a bunch of you guys to convince me. For those of you with the clear corner headlights: Did you notice a big difference in quality and fit and finish when you switched yours out?

One last thing: If you get the clear corners, make sure to get rid of the amber bulbs in your corners and replace them with the bulbs that don't look amber when they are off.

Either the Sylvania Silverstar bulbs that have a coating on them:
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sylvania-1157A-ST-BP-Performance/dp/B000AMADZA]Amazon.com: Sylvania 1157A ST BP SilverStar 27-Watt High Performance Signal Light: Automotive[/ame]

LED turn signal bulbs that are perfectly clear when they are off.. Just make sure to get a new turn signal switcher that's designed for LED's.
[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002SDBLYG/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001S1IN72&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0X4GDWYDCNFG0RR22PAF]Amazon.com: One Pair 3157 AMBER 48 LED Light(2 bulbs) /12V / Turn Signal Light, Corner Light, Stop Light, Parking Light, Side Marker Light, Tail Light, and Backup Lights: Automotive[/ame]

Homer

Jamie R.

Established Member
Take your stockers to a trusted paint and body shop and let them smoke your stockers a little darker than stock or let them wet sand them and they shoot some clear on them. Either of these two choices are cheaper than buying new prolly. The set on my car was smoked by my buddy that has a body shop.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
Take your stockers to a trusted paint and body shop and let them smoke your stockers a little darker than stock or let them wet sand them and they shoot some clear on them. Either of these two choices are cheaper than buying new prolly. The set on my car was smoked by my buddy that has a body shop.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

I don't think that's an option since the car was involved in an accident, and the front end was smashed up lol.

murked99cobra

Yeah...im slow
Established Member
Stay away from the aftermarket headlights. Yes they are cheap but thats the only thing good they have going for them. Ford oem is the way to go.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I'll probably go ahead and replace my clear corner headlights with a set of stockers. Haven't decided if I want to go with smoked or the non-smoked like the 99 cobras originally came with.

The non-smoked ones are nice, but I'm sure the smoked headlights might "hide the fading and glaze" a little bit better.

Homer

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Stay away from the aftermarket headlights. Yes they are cheap but thats the only thing good they have going for them. Ford oem is the way to go.

I feel the same way, the ones on Ebay etc.. (K2) look fine during the day but at night when you turn the lights on there's hairline scratches everywhere (and the Bad part is it's on the inside of the lense) I had 2 sets and both looked like this.. From what I hear guys have had good luck with the ones from American Muscle!

Last edited:

Jamie R.

Established Member
I don't think that's an option since the car was involved in an accident, and the front end was smashed up lol

Actaully I did'nt notice where he said his headlights got smashed, just the hood and nose. That's why I suggested what I did. If the op's headlights did get smashed then he should get some oem's.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
Actaully I did'nt notice where he said his headlights got smashed, just the hood and nose. That's why I suggested what I did. If the op's headlights did get smashed then he should get some oem's.

Jamie R.
'01 Silver Cobra

Given the OP mentioned the car was hit in the front and he needed new headlights, it was only safe to assume that the current ones have been damaged.

-Lance

Users who are viewing this thread