Need help - Looking at buying a Cobra with an engine issue

03SonicVert

Ford Junkie since 1996
Established Member
Sounds pretty loud for the head tick but use a stethoscope and listen on the 7 & 8 exhaust manifold runners and at the intermediate pipe where it meets the exhaust manifold. The head tick will be the loudest in the exhaust.

I'm thinking it sounds more like a scuffed/damaged piston/cylinder wall. Possible top end item but more than likely bottom end.

How many miles and modifications?
Cancel cylinders to see if the noise changes, compression test, inspect plugs, bore scope to see the cylinder walls with pistons at BDC and look for melted or missing piston spots.

You took off the S/C belt, checked idlers, etc? Sounds like the 7/8 area from the video but rule out the easy and inexpensive stuff first.

SV

cobra-k

Established Member
That's loud as %#$&, if Ur getting that cobra for a steal of a deal, I'd recommend dropping a reman in there or a built block depending on you're budget. But definitely have extra coin aside, if you don't... Walk.

MalcolmV8

Established Member
I think it's next to impossible to know for sure what the issue is without a lot of inspection possibly even a tear down. Consider the funds of replacing/rebuilding that motor and see what your final price will be on the car and then decide if that's a good deal or not.

When my car was making a loud ticking sound it turned out to be a piston. It required a complete tear down, machine work done on the block which ended up been over a grand by the time they deck it, line hone, fix the cylinders and all the other stuff they do. New pistons, rings, head studs, gaskets, fluids, re-build the engine. Plus you replace stuff you can while that deep in the motor, water pump, oil pump etc. It ads up fast.
You could also get a reman motor for $4k something last I checked. They are good deals and save a lot of headache. Consider the expense of getting the new motor installed too.

Unfortunately a tick like that can cost a fortune.

Ourobos

Established Member
Do a compression test. If you can isolate a cylinder, then pull the plug and look at the top of the piston with a flash light. If you see any pock marks on top, more than likely a broke ring land. That is loud. I just bought one thinking the same thing, turns out the ring land was broke, send shrapnel through the engine, had to get a new head (reason to upgrade to an 05 head), bore .020", and also a reason to go with diamond pistons, studs, fully build it. I was out $3000. But for the price I got it for, I did alright.

97StangSVT

Established Member
Thanks guys for all your input, I really appreciate it. I am about 5 1/2 hours away from the car, so it would be hard to do any of the inspection myself. As for mods, it has a ported blower, pulley, idler pulleys, intake, tune, head cooling mod, exhaust, and IRS brace. It only has 11k miles on it. My fear is that it is not the head tick, but something else.

Users who are viewing this thread