Need help deciding on rear end gears!!

Tlayson23

Established Member
Hey guys, I know this belongs in the drivetrain section but i figured it wouldnt get much exposure there. I've got a 03 Mach 1 with a 03/04 cobra crate motor and eaton, still using the tr-3650 5-speed trans; about 400rwhp.

I just bought the car a few months ago, the previous owner went with 4.10 gears and I don't like them. I love low-end power but the car is my daily and when I do decide to get on it 1st and 2nd gear are pretty much useless for me (no traction). I know I could get better tires but with it being my daily driver I don't want to buy drag radials once a year.

I know everyone is probably tired of seeing everyone asking about which rear end gears to get bc ive seen plenty of these threads; but here's the confusion. I know that switching from 4.10's to 3.73's is going to take away some of my 1st and 2nd gear power that i have now, but am i going to feel more power in 3rd and 4th gear? Example - If someone pulled up beside me at a 60mph roll, am i going to do better with the 3.73's than the 4.10's?

I hope I explained myself clearly enough. Oh, and I'm trying to decide between 3.73's, the factory 3.55's, or just keeping the 4.10's. Thanks alot everyone

cobracide

Established Member
A higher (4.10) final gear higher final gear will always have more torque than a lower one (3.73). Everyone here has a T56 6 speed so I don't know how much info you are going to get. My opinion would be to invest in a T56 and get a 3.55 ratio rear gear. That is what the stock cobras have and it works out VERY well under 550hp. If you are still unsure, get at least the 3.55 ratio in the back and maybe get a t56 later. The T56 with it's extra gear and much higher torque rating is way better than what you have now. I had a 2001 Cobra and put in 4.10's so I can compare well to what you have.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread