NEED HELP!! - Cannot shift into SECOND or SIXTH after miss shift at track!

TopRacer

Why Yellow...? BECAUSE!!
Established Member
I was at Atco raceway last night at a decent time to get a couple runs in... well...

I am on my first run, good burn out, nice launch and wham cant hit the second to third shift and grind the tranny, try again quickly, grind again, then took my time and got it in there and crossed over the line with [email protected]... i then go to slow down and come back to the lanes and OH SH!T I cant go into second... so im doing 1st to 3rd shifts back to the lanes...

Once back i try to get the shifter into second, with a some pressure i was able to get it in and a B!TCH to get it back out... I then try all the rest of the gears and i cannot go into sixth at all... i say f'it and go watch some races... i could get my mind off the car so i go back to the car and get in and try to do some laps around the parking lot to try and loosen it up... it seemed to work a little because i can now get it into second without to much truoble and it is a little bit tougher to get it out after its in...

Once the car was rolling on our way home i decided to try sixth, that was B!TCH and i got it in and almost felt like I couldnt get it out, but did...

ANY HELP ON WHAT HAPPENED OR HOW TO FIX THIS?!? :shrug:
COULD THIS JUST BE A SHIFTER ALIGNMENT PROBLEM?

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Do you have the stock shifter?

There is a thread describing simalar problems that was posted yesterday. It ended up being the syncros in the tranny. It cost him 300 bucks to get it fixed doing all the labor himself except the tranny rebuild and 2 days later it happened again.

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
That exact same thing happened to me at the track. I couldn't get it in second and the stick felt like it wasn't moving freely as normal. I got back to the pits and I rowed through a few gears and it seemd like it "went away". It's been fine every since. I'll head straight to the dealer if it happens again.

SVTADVISOR

The Cobra Doctor
Established Member
If you take it into the dealer just don't tell them this happened at the drag strip!

§ilver§nake

Quiet Thunder
Established Member
It sounds like you puree'd your blocking plates and synchros. I had that problem in my '97 when I missed third. It started out as you described, but rapidly got worse to the point of affecting all gears.

I replaced the transmission; yours will need a rebuild.

Sorry about that.

03ShadowCobra

To the Hindenpeter!!!
Established Member
Wow you must have really missed 2nd. I missed second the last time at the track and actually looked in the rear view mirror to see if any tranny parts were on the track. I missed the gear extreamly hard and managed to grind it for about 3 seconds the first time and probably another 5 seconds after that. Finally put it in forth and just drove down the track. You probably do have a syncro problem, but their is no reason the dealership won't fix it. Just bring it back and play dumb.

TopRacer

Why Yellow...? BECAUSE!!
Established Member
I missed third, not second...

UPDATE: after driving it around today it seems that second and sixth have loosened up... i am able to put the shifter into those gears without too much of a problem and it drives fine while in those gears...

I will keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse again or not...

stangfan

When in doubt.. Floor it!
Established Member
Had a similar issue at the track myself after a few passes and a couple of 2-3 missed shifts...

In sumamry, replaced the stock shifter with a Steeda Tri-Ax and added a Steeda firewall adjustor & quadrant -- problem fixed.

IMO, it's the best $2XX.00 you can spend on your car for driveability (& drag strip racing).

TopRacer

Why Yellow...? BECAUSE!!
Established Member
Originally posted by stangfan
Had a similar issue at the track myself after a few passes and a couple of 2-3 missed shifts...

In sumamry, replaced the stock shifter with a Steeda Tri-Ax and added a Steeda firewall adjustor & quadrant -- problem fixed.

IMO, it's the best $2XX.00 you can spend on your car for driveability (& drag strip racing).

Where is the best place to get the Steeda shifter, firewall adjuster and quadrant...?

Thanks...

stangfan

When in doubt.. Floor it!
Established Member
Where is the best place to get the Steeda shifter, firewall adjuster and quadrant...?

Clutch
http://www.steeda.com/store/-catalog/ClutchAdjusterKits.htm
I did not purchase the entire kit. Only the firewall adjustor & quadrant. I used the stock clutch cable...

Shifter
http://www.steeda.com
Select Mustang - Drive Train - Dig down into the shifters. Keep in mind, there are other shifters available... I happen to like the Tri-Ax.

Also, you might want to check summit (http://www.summitracing.com) as well. I think they're having a 10% off sale...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread