need help buying a lightning

97t-bird

Established Member
I just talked to the auto toy store that had it up for sale they said that it was heavily modded which from the guys signature it was.......and that it didnt even have the original engine he mentioned something about a stroker.......is there anyway to tell if it still has the original engine there still may be a chance its not the truck which I am hoping for. I want something I know will be reliable that will be daily driven

Last edited:

BleedsFordBlue

Established Member
I saw that truck during my searches, and opted not to pursue it for the same reason as you...I want something 100% stock (or darn close to it).

Based on what you've said, I would keep looking. JMO.

BigMattfromNJ

Established Member
I just talked to the auto toy store that had it up for sale they said that it was heavily modded which from the guys signature it was.......and that it didnt even have the original engine he mentioned something about a stroker.......is there anyway to tell if it still has the original engine there still may be a chance its not the truck which I am hoping for. I want something I know will be reliable that will be daily driven

From what it says in the guys signature on delvallo it has a MMR block, magnum powers and nitrous. so if you want a fast toy this is what you should buy. if you want something stock look for something else.

LightningLou

Established Member
Dude... It's built! You're gonna want to go built eventually so just get it!

Test drive it, let it idle, open the hood to make sure everything is running properly and no weird noises or issues. Also, watch the gauges make sure they are normal and so forth. Try to talk the salesperson down on the price because the mods. Say you wanted a stock truck but are willing to settle for this one even though it looks molested or something. Haha. Good luck.

WhiteBolt

Engine Master
Established Member
I would love a stock one with 15,000 miles but I cant find any. I did check out a blue 04 that had alot of work done to it nitrous differetn blower line lock and many other mods ...... I ran away from it
I have a stock 04' with 11k miles. Keep looking there's a few out there. You may have to travel for one though.
Here's a couple of good examples on autotrader.com....04' Black 3000 miles.......04' Red 15500 miles...04' Silver 6400 miles
The one you are looking at seems highly modded.
I would try to find out if the mods were installed professionally because otherwise, you are taking a big chance on it's reliability.
There are no warranties on something that's been heavily modified and if you're not into turning wrenches on a daily basis, it won't be a very practical daily driver either.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread