need help buying a lightning

97t-bird

Established Member
Ok guys I am buying a lightning tomorrow an 04 with 15,000 on the clock but its a few states over to make sure I am not wasting my time is there anything you can tell me about the truck from these pics like mods done to it and a general opinion of the truck.....Thank you the more replies today the better as I am going tomorrow morning....Thanks Greg
whole1.jpg

engine.jpg

pillar.jpg

wheel1.jpg

mcarbine

2003 L #2504
Established Member
Looks like a Chickenears cool-aid intake box, K&N elbow, aftermarket plenum, 20" replica 01-02 rims, judging by the exhaust tips it looks like a Bassani catback, some sort of suspension drop, and its hard to tell in that pic but it looks like a Magnum Powers blower or possibly a Whipple but I cant tell for sure its def aftermarket, sticker overlay on front emblem the billet underhood pieces are also from Chickenears, Saleen style graphics on the door, and thats about all I see except for the obvious A pillar gauges. Good luck with the sale!!! Matt

Last edited:

97t-bird

Established Member
my main concert is going to be reliability with the truck i would prefer a stock blower but was looking for pics it looks very close if not the same as the stock silver/grey one but I cant tell

kyl

Peanutbutter & Jealous
Established Member
Looks like an MP Blower. and a nitrous kit. C&L plenum, K&N Intake Elbow, with Chickenears stage one intake.

Looks like the stock MAF but it could be a SCT 2400.

It has an auxiliary idler kit. and it looks like the elbow and the MAF are about to come apart.

Last edited:

97t-bird

Established Member
what are some things that I should check on the truck....I will not go through with it if it has had nitrous how can I check this

volcomsurf76

Mr.Awesome
Established Member
is it in NJ? i know the guy has been trying to sell it for a long time now. He had it in the market section on the forum and at a dealership for like 28k.. you might be able to get a good deal on it if its the same truck

97t-bird

Established Member
is it in NJ? i know the guy has been trying to sell it for a long time now. He had it in the market section on the forum and at a dealership for like 28k.. you might be able to get a good deal on it if its the same truck

yes any info on this truck or a way to find out if this is the person you know would be great I would love to know the history I am not looking for a truck to race just a nice reliable lightning i dont mind a few mods done but prefer nothing major and woudl like this truck to last a while

volcomsurf76

Mr.Awesome
Established Member
Its not in the market section anymore i know it was at Auto Toy Store here in NJ. ive never seen it in person but it looks like a really nice ride. Good luck man

97t-bird

Established Member
id buy a stock one, but thats just my opinion.

I would love a stock one with 15,000 miles but I cant find any. I did check out a blue 04 that had alot of work done to it nitrous differetn blower line lock and many other mods ...... I ran away from it

00SVTStrike

Established Member
Looks like some nice parts, but you maybe are better off buying a stocker, or close to stock even with a few more miles....it seems like you arent "in it for the mods"...

Whatever you decide, I would get the tune checked out before you play too much...

Even if you buy one that "seems stock"....you would be suprised. I traded in mine bone stock but it was pulley/tuned mods in sig and I ran her pretty hard. I always smile when somone puts in their add "bone stock never pullied"

Last edited:

JohninMD

Established Member

SADF

Established Member
Looks like some nice parts, but you maybe are better off buying a stocker, or close to stock even with a few more miles....it seems like you arent "in it for the mods"...

Whatever you decide, I would get the tune checked out before you play too much...

Even if you buy one that "seems stock"....you would be suprised. I traded in mine bone stock but it was pulley/tuned mods in sig and I ran her pretty hard. I always smile when somone puts in their add "bone stock never pullied"

Yeah, Lightning like Supras, 5.0's, and Grand Nationals are almost always modded and its rare to find a low mileage virgin

97t-bird

Established Member
here are some a little closer just searching on autotrader, I dont know anything about these but worth a shot, looks stock. I would get them to go down on the price though since trucks dont move as quickly off the lots as they used to.

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...75&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=55

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.j...75&doors=&transmission=&max_price=&cardist=11
that second one the blue one is the one i referenced in the earlier post......

Users who are viewing this thread