Need Help ASAP!!!

Reaper6193

Established Member
I had a seriously shit day today and now I have no idea how to fix it and it just so happens this forum might be my last hope I was changing my spark plugs today and I was on my last plug of the reinstall..... well as I was loosening it up I heard a pop and immediately stopped and I looked inside and found that my plug had broke off in the heads. The threaded metal part is still stuck and the porcelain came clean out... Plz I need serious advice and help thanks....

Reaper6193

Established Member
No like the only left is the thread section the part werey socket connects came with the porcelain to only the bottom half stayed in except the porcelain parts

2nd2none

Established Member
Hmm. I'd say try sticking a long screwdriver in there and see if it would grab onto part of the plug so you can turn it out but I'm thinking something is in there binding it up which caused it to snap in the first place.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
I think this was common with the 4.6 mustangs. I'm pretty sure they made a specialty tool for the removal

fullboogie

Established Member
Very common on the early 3V heads on 4.6"s. The Lisle tool is supposed to work like a charm.

BROK3N-SVT

Established Member
I would also suggest using a easy out. It is reversed threads to bite as you wrench on it. Just be vary careful you piston isn't up too high that you hit it. You also will have to push down or tap it in while you turn to get a better bite on it.

YELL03

Established Member
Might be worth getting the car over to a professional shop and letting them do it?

I hate spending money for stuff I can do myself, but paying a little now might save you a lot later.

I learned that lesson trying to limp my blown 92 5.0 home from the track to save a $400 tow, cost me thousands in engine damage and I ended up selling the car for $6000 with $18000 invested.

I wish you luck, I know that sick feeling you must be having.

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Check this out.
OTC 6918 Spark Plug Remover Kit : Amazon.com : Automotive

Positive reviews on Amazon. Haven't used one myself.

Good luck and let us know how it works out.
This will not work on the situation the OP is in. This tool is for the 3v modulars with the extended tip spark plugs. There's a metal shield below the plug threads that breaks off because of carbon build up. The tool is to retrieve that metal shield that's wedged in the head.

OP, chances are someone overtightened the spark plug. I would give the easy out method a try. Did all of the porcelain come out with the plug or is there still porcelain in the threaded part?

Last edited:

PC03GT

Established Member
I know they make a tool for the 3v 5.4 to pull the plug after it breaks, I don't know if you could use it on a mustang. I would call the dealership and ask them if it would work.

Users who are viewing this thread