NEED HELP ASAP!!!!!Valve Trouble

firstonraceday

Established Member
So I pull the valve covers off tonight and to my surprise I see two of the followers on the #2 cyl are sitting at the bottom of the head off the valves. How can this happen and how do I fix it. The cylinder's compression was at like 15 psi also. Im assuming that this is because a valve is stuck open.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
It's not unheard of for cam followers to fall off at the factory and remain off for thousands of miles.

duane v

Established Member
cause = valve spring failed, or valve-tappet failed, cam follower failed or you have a valve stem height issue.....check the lash on all 32 valves...it should be withing .018 -.033.....DA snake boy!!!!

firstonraceday

Established Member
duane v said:
cause = valve spring failed, or valve-tappet failed, cam follower failed or you have a valve stem height issue.....check the lash on all 32 valves...it should be withing .018 -.033.....DA snake boy!!!!

Im guessing I just stick a feeler gauge between the roller and the cam lobe to do this???/?

firstonraceday

Established Member
o and is it possible for the valves to be stuck open with no followers on the valve or are they closed ???

duane v

Established Member
firstonraceday said:
Im guessing I just stick a feeler gauge between the roller and the cam lobe to do this???/?
make sure you're at base circle (the lobe will be pointing away from the cam-follower roller)....You will also need to bleed down the lash adjuster (valve tappet) before doing this.....you can use compressed air and holding the valve-tappet upside down, or placing the valve tappet in a vice, using two copper pennies to sandwich the valve tappet, so that the valve-tappet dont get damaged, and close the vice...you will see oil squirt out of the tappet body oiling hole....DA snake boy!!!!!

Last edited:

duane v

Established Member
firstonraceday said:
o and is it possible for the valves to be stuck open with no followers on the valve or are they closed ???

you better hope not:eek: .....the valve should be seated all the way in the valve seat (closed) without the cam follower installed......DA snake boy!!!!

firstonraceday

Established Member
duane v said:
you better hope not:eek: .....the valve should be seated all the way in the valve seat (closed) without the cam follower installed......DA snake boy!!!!

wouldent it be better on the car if the valves were stuck open because that would explain the smoking. And if they are closed then there is no way for the exhaust to escape causing the rings to blow im sure.

duane v

Established Member
firstonraceday said:
wouldent it be better on the car if the valves were stuck open because that would explain the smoking. And if they are closed then there is no way for the exhaust to escape causing the rings to blow im sure.

that can be a problem too... if the valve is closed, hopefully it will only be one of them per the bank.....a valve stuck open can kiss the piston, and can cause many issues......DA snake boy!!!!

firstonraceday

Established Member
well look like im screwed for now ive got 35 dollars to my name. O well nothing a 24 pack cant get me through :beer: . Thanks for all the help.

Users who are viewing this thread