Need help asap please !!!!!

tohighpsi

Established Member
Well my excitement for the cobra was very short lived. I just got the car a couple of weeks ago and just got tags this week. I bet I haven't even put 50 miles on it. I put a list of mods below. While taking a buddy out for a spin today all hell broke lose. Went to pull on the car in third gear and at about 5000rpm the car let loose. Antifreeze everywhere. It was blowing through the hood vent and smoke poured out the back. I let off immediately. The car seemed to be idling ok then started to break up. I shut it off and coasted to an empty parking lot. Popped the hood all towards the drivers side under the hood is coated in antifreeze. All around the battery area. Nothing on the left side of the motor or really on the motor itself. No hoses are busted. We put a gallon of antifreeze in it to see if it leaked. Nothing. Started the car up seemed to be running ok but antifreeze ran out where the mufflers clamped under neath.

We shut it off. Had it towed home. Car won't start now. As much as I hate to say it I guess it can't really be anything but something serious. I guess prob a head gasket. I bought the car from a very reputable engine builder and racer. I havent been able to get ahold of him yet but am really keeping my fingers crossed that he will make good on things and help me out. After buying the car taxes tags and everything im pretty muched wiped out. I really dont know what to do except wait to hear back from him. If you guys can think of anything other then a head gasket please fill me in. Below is a list of mods

2003 Redfire Cobra
41,841 miles

Engine / Driveline

Built Pro Line Racing short block (~4,000 miles on new short block)
- ARP 2000 rod bolt upgrade
- CP pistons
- ARP main studs
- Billet oil pump gears
- ARP head studs

- Spec clutch
- 26 spline input shaft
- Short throw shifter

Power Adder / Fuel System

- Kenne Bell 2.6H supercharger (includes 2 pulleys, 2 belts)
- Kenne Bell throttle body
- MPH custom billet blower inlet
- SCT maf
- MPH cold air intake
- Intercooler reservoir upgrade
- BBK long tube headers
- BBK off-road x-pipe
- Bassani stainless cat-back exhaust
- 60lb/hr injectors
- Twin focus pumps
- Upgraded FPDM
- Fuel pump wiring upgrade
- Kenne Bell boost-a-pump

Suspension / Appearance

- PA Racing tubular k-member
- PA Racing tubular control arms
- UPR coil overs
- BBK caster/camber plates
- Subframe connectors (mount through seat brackets)
- Black FR500 Wheels (18x9, 18x10)
- Mickey Thompson drag radials 305/40/18
- Smoked head lights
- Smoked fog lights
- HID head lights
- Auto Meter boost gauge
- Auto Meter intercooler water temperature gauge
- Raptor shift light

Extras

- Custom rear seat delete kit – not installed

This car was professionally tuned by Tim Barth @ MPH Performance. The car made 608rwhp/570rwtq on pump gas and 665rwhp/620rwtq on race gas. The car is driven daily on nice days/weekends and is garage kept.

2001blkR

Established Member
Sorry to hear bud, I'm sure the builder will work with you.

Last edited:

Canuck03SVT

Established Member
Re-check all your connections and caps for the cooling system. Does it have the head cooling mod? Maybe that gave out. Water pump is something to check aswell. Hope you get it figured out.

LoudToy948

Ford Family
Established Member
Any chance this car has a head cooling mod that broke free? That would let a lot of coolant loose in a hurry. Not sure exactly where your leak is though. Odd that it is not starting now too. Pull ur plugs and see if there is anything noticeable there.

Just a few ideas.

tohighpsi

Established Member
Tim lynch's old car?

Pm'd

Re-check all your connections and caps for the cooling system. Does it have the head cooling mod? Maybe that gave out. Water pump is something to check aswell. Hope you get it figured out.

Not sure if it has the head cooling mod. I will have to check everything again. I just cant think why it would be in the exhaust unless something serious happened. No clue about the water pump. It sucks because I am really new to these cars and dont know much. Even my mechanic friends around here arent to familar with them.

tohighpsi

Established Member
Any chance this car has a head cooling mod that broke free? That would let a lot of coolant loose in a hurry. Not sure exactly where your leak is though. Odd that it is not starting now too. Pull ur plugs and see if there is anything noticeable there.

Just a few ideas.

Not sure what the head cooling mod is I have heard of it before but could you guys fill me in

boatcop1

Established Member
just look behind the blower on the drivers side, if you have the hcm you will see a fitting rising up out of the drivers side head in the back with a hose comming off it. you should probably have a hose "T'd" off your upper radiator hose on the pass side and that hose should lead aft usually over your pass valve cover leading back to the before mentioned fitting.

mysterio

Established Member
Not having water evidence in the oil or under the valve covers is a good piece of news. Hope for the best, and that it's just a fitting that gave way. Keep us posted.

tohighpsi

Established Member
Good news and bad news

Bad news> Went back and pulled the plugs and there coated in antifreeze so it looks like a blown head gasket or maybe even a cracked head

Good news>Talked to the guy I bought it from and he is going to do his best to make everything right.

We both cant figure out why it pop a head gasket though. It was on low boost not heat soaked and really not being ran that hard. With the head studs and everything we really just cant figure it out. Maybe it doesnt have the cooling mod and the head got a hot spot?

32V10TH

Stroked
Established Member
Wow, glad to hear he is gonna work with you on it. Post pics of your engine bay, before and after for us...

tohighpsi

Established Member
Any ideas why this would have happened? Car has had the built motor for 4000 miles and just blow a head gasket out of no where? Were both kinda stumped.

I also might need a transport company to get the car to ga. Anybody know of a cheap company ?

tohighpsi

Established Member
What do you guys think is my best bet to get the car down there. It seems like transport companys are pretty expensive.

Users who are viewing this thread