Need help ASAP..911 on rear spring install

Saleen281sc

I've got a Cobra,too
Established Member
:banana:

Trying to get this damn car back together.

I can't figure out the reinstall position of my lowering springs. Bottom cup position had Factory pigtail end pointed straight towards the rear of the car on the pass side, pigtail end pointed towards pass door on the drivers side. What the shit?

What is correct orientation for the pigtails? Please don't say "theres a cutout like the front" because plainly there isn't. The bottom cups are ridged halfway around, and have 1 drainhole. I assume the drainhole would be the lowest point in the cup?

So how in the hell do you orient them??

massmustang02

I hate Wrist Pins
Established Member
If I remember right, where the the pigtail ends, you line that up with the drain hole. Been so long since I've done I can't really remember a 100%. I'm sure others will chime in to confirm or deny.

Saleen281sc

I've got a Cobra,too
Established Member
If I remember right, where the the pigtail ends, you line that up with the drain hole. Been so long since I've done I can't really remember a 100%. I'm sure others will chime in to confirm or deny.

Thanks for at least chiming in. Thats kinda my idea..to line the ends up with the drain holes.

Just want to make sure before putting it back together.

I even looked thru the factory workshop manual, and it says NOTHING about the spring orientation.

Anyone?

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
Here, read this but pay close attention to the posts as I dont' think the sketch is 100% correct.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...tions-211/529135-rear-spring-orientation.html

I did this a few months ago and I think I tried like it like the sketch. But read post #4! b/c after I had it level on the ground the left rear was about 1" higher. I re-adjusted the left rear 2 more times to get it level. IF I remember correctly, my right rear was positioned just like, or close to the sketch but I turned the left rear 180 deg. from what the sketch is showing so the left rear pigtail points towards the front of the car.

This all from memory, but I usually have a good one. lol It's a start at least. Good luck!

Saleen281sc

I've got a Cobra,too
Established Member
Here, read this but pay close attention to the posts as I dont' think the sketch is 100% correct.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...tions-211/529135-rear-spring-orientation.html

I did this a few months ago and I think I tried like it like the sketch. But read post #4! b/c after I had it level on the ground the left rear was about 1" higher. I re-adjusted the left rear 2 more times to get it level. IF I remember correctly, my right rear was positioned just like, or close to the sketch but I turned the left rear 180 deg. from what the sketch is showing so the left rear pigtail points towards the front of the car.

This all from memory, but I usually have a good one. lol It's a start at least. Good luck!

Nice thread, but my factory springs sat NOTHING like the drawing or the pics posted in there. :??:

The pic referenced in the thread states the red arrow is where the pigtail goes. The green arrow is where MY pigtail was from the factory.

kafpf9.jpg

jt239

Established Member
I orientated my rears exactly as they were stock but it still ended up sitting uneven. I had to adjust one side after everything settled.

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
Nice thread, but my factory springs sat NOTHING like the drawing or the pics posted in there. :??:

The pic referenced in the thread states the red arrow is where the pigtail goes. The green arrow is where MY pigtail was from the factory.

Good info there. I didn't pay close enough attention when I removed my stock springs...I think they may have been in between the red arrow and your green arrow. lol Guess that's why Ford apparently has a 3/8" tolerance. I was shocked when I first got mine of the jack stands to find that my left rear was almost 1" higher than the right rear. Just trying to help the OP out a bit...it'll probably take some tweaking once the new springs are in.

Saleen281sc

I've got a Cobra,too
Established Member
This^^^
The area is recessed

LOL...I hear ya.

Just got off the phone with Steeda, and their "tech" guy/installer says to put the new springs back in the same position the old springs were in. :dw:

Of course, we already have read posts here that say when that was done, one side of the car was higher than the other. :bash:

I'm still debating on just putting the ends of the pigtails even with the drain holes.

I even searched H&R's site for any tech advice, and found nothing..tons of guys running lowering springs, was hoping for more feedback. :rockon:

Co-brat

FNG
Established Member
BACK FROM THE DEAD THREAD....

Has anyone come up with an agreement on where the recessed area of the cup is? I had my rear springs out yesterday (H&R SS) cause I thought I had them installed 180* out from the drainhole but when I was looking at the cup there was no defininte recessed area that I could see and now im second guessing on where I put them and thinki.g of disassembling for a third time to make sure.

Users who are viewing this thread