Need help!! Almost tried everything!!!

phen0m

mustang addict...
Established Member
Hi all. I'm going crazy with this issue I've been having with my 2001 mustang gt and could really use advice. While driving in lower rpm 1000-2500 and in all gears except 1st, there is a small bucking/chugging while driving. It's not very noticeable by the passenger in the car but its there. It's really noticeable while driving up hills in lower rpm. If you give it a good amount of throttle or wot its not there, only when easy on the gas. Its been this way since I bought the car used, and I've been working to fix it ever since (1 year plus) below is a list of things I have changed in hoping to fix the problem.

-8 new c.o.p.
-new spark plugs
-new fprs
-new 02 sensors
-new egr gasket
-new tps
-cleaned MAF (also swapped with another car to test with no luck)

The mods on the car

-aftermarket throttlebody
-trick flow plenum
-jlt rai
-bbk catted X
-flowmaster catback
-SCT tuned on dyno

There may have been some other stuff but I can't remember. I've been looking for threads on this issue and am coming up dry. I really appreciate any help you guys can give. Thanks. :shrug:

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Have you owned Mustangs prior to this one? You said you've noticed this chugging since you first bought the car (used). So I'm wondering if it is a non-issue, especially if passengers don't notice it. Sometimes our minds can make a relatively minor thing become a major thing. And the longer we sense it the bigger it becomes to us.

You checked all of the right things but you might want to data-log with a wide-band and maybe something will show up. That would be my recommendation.

phen0m

mustang addict...
Established Member
Thanks for the reply cobrabob. I own a cobra too and can feel somethings up with the gt. I don't know how to go about data-logging though. :(

bs46488

Established Member
I have some of the same noises/issues. One suggestion I got was u-joints. I haven't replaced mine, so I don't know how valid of a suggestion it was. Thought I'd throw it out there.

Good luck. Keep us posted

94-427

Established Member
I would be looking for a small Vacuum leak useally at PCV lines [moled from ford], elbos get soft and colapce and suck in

phen0m

mustang addict...
Established Member
I would be looking for a small Vacuum leak useally at PCV lines [moled from ford], elbos get soft and colapce and suck in

Thanks for the reply. I actually replaced all the pcv lines so I know thats not the issue. The car drives great, gets great gas mileage, plenty of power...do you guys think it might be injector related?

DaBigBone

Established Member
I had the same issue twice.

First time, it was my PCV Line
Second time, my Air intake tube was cracked pretty bad on the bottom.

Sheriff41

Established Member
Sounds like a problem I had with my car--turned out to be dirty MAF sensors. Cleaned 'em up and its run great since.

Hissss5

Oni 1
Established Member
It could be your throttle position sensor. Its a black sensor on the side of the throttlebody.It has one plug plugged into it that has 3 pins in it.

02steedakbgt

Established Member
I had that same problem and it was the EGR valve. Also check the vacuum lines going to and from the egr "or any vacuum lines at that". Hope this helps

phen0m

mustang addict...
Established Member
WIN! I swapped the fuel injectors and it cured the problem. I hope this helps save somebody a lot of effort and headache...

*update*
EGR was acting up too. Was more the EGR than anything else. I bought a block plate and sct tuned it out. Easy fix.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread