Need Diesel Opinions

M3xpress

Established Member
I've been wanting to get a nice F250/F350 to keep for a while, but I've got a lot of projects going on so I'm not always trying hard to find one.

Whatever truck I go after would be driven regularly but other than pulling a car hauler/cars around, I'm not going to beat on it. I'd like to mod one a little bit, but I'm not looking to do anything extreme.

I figured I'd either try to find one of the final year 7.3s that's like what I want or just hold off for a little while and try to get an '08 that's like what I want.

Talking to diesel mechanics around town they have said if I were to ever mess with a 6.0 try to get an '06-'07 because a lot of the problems had been ironed out.

I bring this up bc in the process of trying to help a friend find a truck I ran across this truck which has a lot of things that I like.

[url=http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=304229622&dealer_id=64261993&car_year=2006&systime=&doors=&model=F250&search_lang=en&start_year=2006&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&highlightFirstMakeModel=&search_type=both&distance=200&min_price=&rdm=1312554233924&drive=4+wheel+drive&marketZipError=false&advanced=y&fuel=Diesel&keywords_display=&sownerid=27312250&lastBeginningStartYear=1981&end_year=2006&showZipError=y&make2=&certified=&engine=8+Cylinder&dma=BIRMINGHAM&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&body_code=0&transmission=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&color=BLUE&address=35242&sort_type=priceDESC&max_price=20000&color2=&make=FORD&seller_type=b&num_records=25&cardist=142&standard=false]Cars for Sale: 2006 Ford F250 4x4 Crew Cab Super Duty in Chamblee, GA 30341: Truck Details - 304229622 - AutoTrader.com[/URL]

What am I wondering is, are the newer 6.0s worth the money? Is the reliability of the 7.3 worth me going that route? I really like the look and power of the '08s, are they worth waiting for the prices to come down a little?

I just want a good truck I can hold on to for a while and I don't want to jump into something that may give me a lot of grief from the start and is not worth having.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
If you educate yourself on the 6.0L and do the preventative mods they can be great trucks. People that don't know the motors and just drive them are the ones that complain about them. Install headstuds, coolant filter, and some kind of gauges to monitor the Engine Oil Temperature and Coolant Temperature delta to tell the health of the oil cooler. Also, most of the older trucks have had their issues replaced already since they are almost 10 years old at this point.

M3xpress

Established Member
Seems like I'm kind of in a similar boat with the 6.4s as well as it seems a lot people suggest going with the EGR delete for reliability and a DPF delete for mileage.

03cobraaa

Established Member
Being a former 6liter owner, they are great motors dispite all the hate towards them. A few mods need to be done though, such as head studs, gaskets, egr delete, and an oil cooling system. It is a PITA pulling the cab but well worth it if you want a good running truck. My recommendation is to save up and buy a 6.4. The motors are great, and respond to mods very well. Just think you can have a 550rwhp 900ftlb truck with a tune, intake and exhaust.

01slo vert

Established Member
Honestyly, the 6.0 is a GREAT truck, like stated, once you do the studs tuner and delete kit and add CAT ELC (coolant). You do not need to pull the cab to do head studs. I've done a few head studs, including on my brothers truck with the cab on. Alls you have to do is put the last to studs in the head and zip tie them together to hold them in place.

My brother has an 06 King Ranch CCDW with a River City Diesel EGR kit Silver Line 4" straight pipe, Air Raid intake, SCT Tuner with Innovative Diesel custom tunes. Weighs 9,00lbs and ran a high 14 in the 1/4 mile.

Since the studs and delete kit (knock on wood) no problems what so ever and went from 12- MPG to 17+ MPG with 4.33 gears

tj04cobra

Established Member
The should I buy a 7.3 or a 6.0 debate will never die. Get a 6.0, do all what was recommended in this thread and enjoy a bad ass truck. The 7.3 is a dinosaur that has its problems as well. Don't get something that will leak oil, coolant and shit all over your driveway (most 7.3's).

See my sig. I haven't done studs yet, but they will be there sometime. I got the truck bone stock in August with 139k. It's a lariat and I damn near stole it for well under 10k. The leather is in awesome shape other than the driver's seat arm rest which I can get replaced cheap.

The 6.0 deals are out there, I found one and I'm sure you can too. People have an issue pop up and they dump em cheap. I don't know what the 7.3 owners are smoking but I think they are asking way too much for those trucks. They have their own bucket of problems that I could go on all day about.

SVTStrikesBack

Last One Standing
Established Member
The should I buy a 7.3 or a 6.0 debate will never die. Get a 6.0, do all what was recommended in this thread and enjoy a bad ass truck. The 7.3 is a dinosaur that has its problems as well. Don't get something that will leak oil, coolant and shit all over your driveway (most 7.3's).

See my sig. I haven't done studs yet, but they will be there sometime. I got the truck bone stock in August with 139k. It's a lariat and I damn near stole it for well under 10k. The leather is in awesome shape other than the driver's seat arm rest which I can get replaced cheap.

The 6.0 deals are out there, I found one and I'm sure you can too. People have an issue pop up and they dump em cheap. I don't know what the 7.3 owners are smoking but I think they are asking way too much for those trucks. They have their own bucket of problems that I could go on all day about.

Wow dude, how do you have a powermax and no studs. Crazy.

As to answer the question at hand; if you can afford the 08+ go for it. 7.3 vs. 6.0 there is simply no comparison IMO. The 6.0 trucks are simply better. 5 speed automatic, more power, more torque, newer truck. Most 7.3's are getting a little ratty these days and the people asking high money will not get it.

I looked for six months before I found a the deal I wanted on my 6.0 and I bought it for a work truck. The 08+ trucks don't make THAT much more power but they certainly do a lot without all the things that you need to do to the 6.0.

You should VERY seriously consider about $5500 AT LEAST on top of whatever price you are about to pay for any given 6.0 as that's a popular range for egr delete and studs.

I don't know how important this is to you, but the only downside I have really heard about the 6.4 trucks is their mileage is pretty sorry compared to both the 6.0 and 7.3.

Last edited:

wicked90lx

Established Member
7.3=no power. will run 300k slowly. 6.0=good power, reg. oil changes along with fuel filters shouldnt have to many problems, head studs, egr delete, with tuner, they get it done. coolant filter will help with oil cooler issues. 6.4=complete idiot for even thinking about buying, just flat out junk, egr delete helps, dpf delete helps, but still all around junk. 6.7=one bad bitch!

500Hoss

Established Member
As the owner of a '05 Excursion with the 6.0, my experience has not been particularly good. Truck has been well maintained, currently has 120,000 miles of easy driving. In the shop right now needed the dreaded EGR cooler as antifreeze is now disappearing ($2600) and one or more injectors are bad (waiting for that bill). In the past, have needed to replace the oil injection pump ($1100 just for the part), alternator, cam shaft sensor, etc. The 6.0's had major issues that are well known - and expensive to fix. My diesel mechanic says that the 6.4's are worse - he is making a great living off these two engines alone.

Ryan

It's Not Your Concern
Super Moderator
The biggest issue with the 6.0's is the egr plugging up. For a person that drives the truck average, deleting it can potentially save you some coin. As for the 6.4s everyone I know with it loves them. What issues do u guys find on them?

---
I am here: Google Maps

Its actually the oil cooler plugging up and the egr cool rupturing and dumping coolant into the combustion chambers.

tj04cobra

Established Member
Wow dude, how do you have a powermax and no studs. Crazy.

Got a good deal on a new Powermax, and I couldn't pass it up. I've had it on the truck now for around 4,000 miles and it's not pushing coolant yet. I don't drive it that hard much.

I did however, monitor eot/ect on a highway trip this thanksgiving and there is a 29 degree difference!! :nonono: It's going to need an oil cooler and studs asap! I got my diesel site coolant filtration set up in the mail wednesday, but that won't do much good now!

Users who are viewing this thread