Need computer help fast. Best buy unfortunately.

760-MPH

Established Member
Have $500 and need to get a new laptop, problem is must be through best buy due to gift cards.

I am not particular on processors or brand but just need something decent for school and net/svtperf.

What do you recommend?

LS2GTO

Established Member
Honestly, for your needs any laptop right around that price range will do just fine. MS Office and surfing the web do not need lots of resources, so go to BB and pick out any major brand laptop (HP, Lenovo, Dell etc.) that you like, feels solid and has a nice looking screen. Basically those will be your main selling points, and those you can tell for yourself which ones feel and look nice.

Stang Lover

Established Member
I just bought a dell they had on sale for $299. Never had a peep out of of the dell computers I've owned.

TK Doom

Established Member
Don't buy an HP.

Get a Toshiba bundle.

$499, comes with thumb drive, case and wireless mouse.

Ponyracer1

Established Member
I ordered one online from them awhile back, a toshiba I think. Anyway, pay more attention to windows 7 vs 8. I HATE WINDOWS 8 so I ordered one specifically with windows 7 and love it! Want to say it's an elitebook, was about $350? I liked it so much I bought my daughter one, and she loves it as well.

SVTORANGE

Established Member
HP or DELL are both good Laptops just depends on what bells and whistles come with each one.

BlueSnake01

Established Member
For those complaining about Windows 8, update it to Windows 8.1. I prefer Windows 7 but do not mind Win 8.1, they fixed a bunch of crap/bugs that made me hate Win 8.

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
Meh, get a tablet or ipad if you have best buy gift cards. You can build a computer for cheaper and with less bloatware through newegg or other vendors online.

GodStang

Established Member
HP/Compaq is one of the worse of the Major brands you can buy. Of the 1600 PCs we have we got between 200-500 HPs for free from another company. We ended up trashing all of them because they were so bad and replacing with Dells. Dells have always been good to us both in the work world and at home. Any of the ones I don't build myself at home have always been Dells. Oh wait I do have a Compaq laptop... A buddy was having so many issues with it he sold it to me for cheap to make a dual boot Backtrack laptop out of.

DHG1078

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Established Member
I have had a couple HP laptops and they both were giant turds.

My parents have an ASUS laptop and it has been going very strong for a few years. I would recommend looking into Asus.

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
Why the big debate on brands? The guts of the laptop are what really matter. Though if I had to choose a brand, I like my Toshiba.

OhBovpL.jpg

Last edited:

GodStang

Established Member
Why the big debate on brands? The guts of the laptop are what really matter. Though if I had to choose a brand, I like my Toshiba.

OhBovpL.jpg

That is true but HP/Compaq is known for having driver issues with Microsoft/printers and other things. So any changes to Windows can really effect them. When I was working on PCs on the side to get through College 90% of the ones I worked on were HP/Compaq either dieing early or having Driver issues.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member

Toshiba....where do i begin. Junk keyboards, junk drives, junk screens. Worst laptop i have ever owned. On my 2nd keyboard, 3rd DVD/RW drive and 2nd screen. All under warranty within 2 years. Ill go back to ASUS next time i get a laptop since i had one for 5 years with zero issues.

jmsa540

Established Member
This must be a joke?

Why would it be a joke? Both of my laptops went downrange with me for over 9 months at a time; given the austere environment that they were put through, I believe that is more than enough reason to buy another one.. So after I got back from downrange the second time, I went ahead and bought my third HP laptop... Never had a problem with them.

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
Toshiba....where do i begin. Junk keyboards, junk drives, junk screens. Worst laptop i have ever owned. On my 2nd keyboard, 3rd DVD/RW drive and 2nd screen. All under warranty within 2 years. Ill go back to ASUS next time i get a laptop since i had one for 5 years with zero issues.

You must have either bought a lemon or a cheapo. No problems with mine for the 4 years that I've owned it.

Kiohtee

Established Member
There's really no point in debating manufacturers. Just like Ford vs. Chevy vs. Dodge/Nissan vs. Toyota/Kia vs. Hyundai, all of them make something that is at least decent. Period.

For example, I've never had what I would consider a decent car from Ford. But my history with Honda, Chevy and Kia is remarkable!

But anyway, I've had good luck with Dell and ASUS as far as computers go. Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread