Need brake help!

Socom688

Cobra > All other cars..
Established Member
I replaced my rotors and brake pads, and in the process I took off my calipers to paint them while I was installing the rotors and pads. After I put the rotors back on, changed the pads, and reinstalled the calipers, I proceeded to bleed the brakes, using the bleed bolt on the calipers. I went from passenger rear, driver rear, passenger front then finished with driver front. The lines cleared of dirty fluid, and air (at least from what I could see).

My materials:
Empty water bottle filled with half brake fluid
Clear silicon tube
proper sized wrenches.

I connected the tube to the bleeder bolt, and the other end inside the bottle, had someone pump the brakes, then I turned the bolt to bleed them.

I am 99% sure I did everything right, but the brakes are still soft and spongey as if air was in the system :fm::mj::fm::cuss::fm::mj::fm:

I dont know what to do, any advice?!@?$

mackj66

Established Member
Dude,
First, did you make sure that you kept the master cylinder filled with fluid while you had everything apart? It's possible you might need to bleed that first.

Second, if you are sure the master cylinder never went dry....it has taken me as long as 2 straight hours of bleeding going round and round and round until I finally found that pesky little air pocket that was making everything spongy. Sometimes it can take quite a while.

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Yep, and god forbid you had it open a long time and air got to the ABS module. It will take forever to get that out if you can do it at all without bringing it to the dealership.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I do not believe your year Cobra has the master bleed screw like 03/04 Cobras do.

Unless you figured out a way to completely and totally seal your brake hose ends while the calipers were off, then it is highly probable that even if the master did not gravity drain completely dry, air has traveled up the lines(floated) and that is where the soft pedal is coming from.

I believe you will need to bench bleed your master cylinder and start over.

SKMCOBRA

Just the Facts
Established Member
I do not believe your year Cobra has the master bleed screw like 03/04 Cobras do.

Unless you figured out a way to completely and totally seal your brake hose ends while the calipers were off, then it is highly probable that even if the master did not gravity drain completely dry, air has traveled up the lines(floated) and that is where the soft pedal is coming from.

I believe you will need to bench bleed your master cylinder and start over.

I have the red 03/04 Cobra calipers on the front of my 97 and I don't recall the bleeder screws being different.

I do bleed mine several times a year due to road racing. I have never been impressed with the feel of the break pedal on my car. It always feels a bit soft to me even after bleeding with fresh Motul fluid.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
I am sorry I was kinda in a hurry when I posted that, I said master bleeding screw and I should have spelled out master cylinder bleed screw.

Which of course doesn't exist on Mustangs prior to 03-04.

Even 2000 cobra Rs don't have one on the master cylinder, but 03/04s do.

I believe the master cylinder has had air come up the lines and has gotten in the master cylinder.

Do try a bench bleed. It happened to me when I did my Brembo swap and I had taped up the lines.
Air still got in and up into the master.

Users who are viewing this thread