Need an AWD fun rig

Ass Eyes

Helter Skelter
Established Member
I recently discovered I need a rig I can take 600 miles, weekly, across a mountain pass. I want it to be fun but fuel-efficient.

I decided upon a WRX given the 26K base model price. I know I could probably manage with any number of FWD cars but I don't EVER want to deal with chains. Plus, I want to have fun.

The nearest Subaru dealer has nothing. Further, the sales creep said they get WRXs one per quarter. Really? I then mentioned I'd just order one. Crickets. No further contact from them. Fine. I went to the Subaru site to do it. Guess what? It doesn't work.

Has anyone else run into this?

LogiWorld123

Established Member
i have been to exactly one Subaru dealership in my life and it was to look at an F150.

(maybe call another dealer? i bet they would love your business)

MachJoe

Established Member
Also, don't dealers locate a car for you if they don't have it in stock?

This! They should if they were a good dealership. They should also let you order one, I've asked before, cause I know Subaru's have weird break in's and I didn't want to drive one that someone beat the piss out of on a test drive.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
nothing wrong with FWD in the snow. upgrade to some winter wheels and blizzaks and never have an issue. also, car will be much cheaper to maintain over a long period of time.

either that or I say used MS6.

Teal Terminator

Established Member
I say this, but I'm a little biased. ;) J/K obviously. The "good" gas mileage restriction threw the SRT8 out immediately, lol. Not to mention many of the other features of this vehicle definitely do not fit what you need either but it sure is a lot of fun. :)

DSC_0371_zps2a1d4b78.jpg

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
WRX are hard to find. Usually you will always have to order one if you want one new. I'd go to another dealership who is serious about your money.

I got a fairly used 2012 in May and had to pretty much pay the price of a new one being they are so hard to come by that the resale value stays up there. It had 15k when I got it and paid 26k. Although it did come with some extras such as auto dimming mirror, homelink, fogs, mats, rally armor flaps, & tinted.

Jack Burton

Established Member
nothing wrong with FWD in the snow. upgrade to some winter wheels and blizzaks and never have an issue. also, car will be much cheaper to maintain over a long period of time.

either that or I say used MS6.

FWD will definitely do the trick. I drove one in NH winters from 16 - 23. Definitely doable, but I'd much rather have AWD, especially if I was driving in mountain passes like he is. Nothing like having to hit a massive uphill at about 60 and then getting stuck behind a 4x4 that's crawling up it at the final stretch.

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
It all really depends on your tires. Put winter tires on anything and you will do a hell of alot better.

If you want FWD I'd go with the Focus ST. Near the same performance as a WRX, minus the AWD.

Or you could be like this dumbass.

[youtube_browser]oFZYGx8JKS0[/youtube_browser]

jrandy

Established Member
I just picked up a WRX two days ago and couldn't be happier. The problem, like mentioned, they are hard to find and often are beaten on if you go used.

JBird_Cobra

Established Member
I want one too but I can't justify the price since they stay so high... hopefully you stumble across a good deal! I've just stuck with a little Honda on all-season tires and made it through the mountains every time.

11GT50

Reality Checker
Established Member
Fuel efficient and WRX don't belong in the same sentence together. A WRX won't get any better gas mileage than any V8 Mustang will. Just know that going in and don't be surprised when you're averaging 22ish MPGs.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
I'll be looking at wrxs next month too. Probably splurge for an STI. Is it needed? No. Is it wanted? Yes

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
I'll be looking at wrxs next month too. Probably splurge for an STI. Is it needed? No. Is it wanted? Yes

If you are going to track it then I'd go STI, if you're not I'd go with the WRX. The WRX now is AS fast at the STI, maybe even a hair quicker due to weight/gearing. Although STI will have more top end.

Look them both over and see if it's actually worth the extra 8K you will probably be paying for the STI over the WRX. If you think you'd end up upgrading your suspensions and swapping transmission in the WRX then the STI is worth it but if you don't plan on modding much and only driving it WRX is a better bang for your buck.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
Are th interiors differenT? I will need awd for the muddy and snowy job sites so that's why I'm getting one

WireEater

Dumpster Baby
Established Member
Are th interiors differenT? I will need awd for the muddy and snowy job sites so that's why I'm getting one

Not really. The only different is the STI comes with leather/alcantara accents with a few extra badges inside. You can get a limited WRX with leather seats/NAV, etc.

Just understand, regardless of the TRIM, WRX/STI interiors are lackluster but more bearable than the EVO X.

Users who are viewing this thread