Need Alignment After Control Arms?

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
I assume not, but just making sure. I just got done putting in my MM Caster/Camber Plates and don't feel like doing my control arms tonight. My alignment is scheduled for noon tomorrow, so will I need another alignment after I put my control arms either Sunday or next weekend? The only adjustment in my rear is the adjustable panhard bar which adjusts how the rear tires are centered in the rear. Other than that, my adjustable upper control arm I'm putting on can be hand adjusted by me and has no effect on the suspension I'd think. The billet lower control arms and relocation brackets (I'm using the bottom hole on the BMR brackets) also wouldn't really affect anything I assume.

FEARSNO1

KB Shelby, enough said
Established Member
anytime you change any suspension component, you should have it atleast checked, if your doing the control arms i would def have it redone.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
I would assume your referring to only rear LCA's. That being said, if the LCA's are adjustable, then you need to at least confirm the driveshaft angel as specially since your adding an UCA. You'll also want to make sure that both LCA's are measuring the exact same length when adjusted properly and that your wheel center is the same and within spec on both sides.

The panhard adjustment you can do yourself, its not that difficult and can be done with the plumb level method by hanging a string from the fender lip to the ground, with a heavy object tied to the ground side. Then measure from the center of the rim to the string and make sure its even on both sides.
The driveshaft angle has to be adjusted carefully and precisely and you'll need an angle finder to do that.

If your doing front control arms as well, then absolutely, you need an alignment after installing them.

Last edited:

6-Speed

Established Member
You should not require a front-end alignment after swapping out the rear components.

FYI my dealer did have to adjust toe after swapping out the front LCAs.

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
You should not require a front-end alignment after swapping out the rear components.

Yeah. I'm not touching anything in the front now. Everything in the front is set in stone. I'm about to get get aligned now. I'll probably do at least the LCAs tomorrow...in the rear not front.

stkjock

Corn Powered 900 HP!
Established Member
If you are upgrading to adj LCA/UCA - just check that the axle is centered front to back and side to side

SicShelby09

Banned
If you are talking about front lower control arms .. YES. You will want to align afterwards FOR SURE.

Rear stuff... not so much, unless it's an IRS car.

No, thats not true. I had my Front lower control arms replaced under the TSB at my local ford dealer, and they do not need to be aligned. They are bolted in and have no effect on steering alignment. I asked this same question of my tech when he did them, and he said no. In fact, he said that its not even in the TSB to be aligned. If it needed it, then it would be in the TSB and ford would have paid for it. And as he said, the steering was perfect before and after.

So the correct answer from FORD is NO. If you are replacing your front lower control arms, no alignment needed.

Last edited:

SicShelby09

Banned

Then your toe was out before the install. The Front LCAs do not have any adjustment, nor do they control anything that does. They are basicly lower A arms.

Last edited:

DavidHasselhoff

WHYUMAD
Established Member
Got aligned today. Drives amazing now and all he had to tweak was the toe because I basically got the caster/camber spot on. Also he told me that I don't need to align the car after I install my LCAs and UCA.

CPRsm

I would still do an alignment even if Ford says it's not required. When an alignment makes a change when it's 1/16 difference, any little thing can throw it off. Yes, if the arm was EXACTLY the same, you in a perfect world would not need one. But being the bushing hole could be off center, the arm is welded which means it can twist in its heating/cooling cycle and quite few other things. For as often as I see stuff wrong with parts, verifying an alignment is cheap insurance to save a few hundred dollars in tires. Tires can still wear even if you don't notice a pull.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
I would still do an alignment even if Ford says it's not required. When an alignment makes a change when it's 1/16 difference, any little thing can throw it off. Yes, if the arm was EXACTLY the same, you in a perfect world would not need one. But being the bushing hole could be off center, the arm is welded which means it can twist in its heating/cooling cycle and quite few other things. For as often as I see stuff wrong with parts, verifying an alignment is cheap insurance to save a few hundred dollars in tires. Tires can still wear even if you don't notice a pull.

This is very true

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member

Yeah that was the reason for my answer. I was not aware that Ford had reduced build tolerances to the point where a front lower control arm change would not require at least an alignment check.

I am VERY aware of Ford not wanting to spend money on warranty if it can get away with it. This is quite wide spread and very well known to those of us who work or have worked at Ford dealer for a period of time.

I do know that build quality and tolerances have in fact tightened up significantly, so it is possible that there may not be much negative impact from this policy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread