Need advice re-installing OEM Mach460 stereo system

cmm3

Established Member
The previous owner installed a Clarion double-din touchscreen radio, trunk-mounted amp and Bazooka sub. He provided the OEM radio, and amps with the sale, and I just pulled a pair of OEM subs from the junkyard. He couldn't provide me with any information, other than "I didn't keep the rear speakers" when he had the new system installed.

I'm hoping the installer didn't butcher the wiring harnesses, and it will be a simple plug-n-play situation, but...

...can anyone point out any particular challenges I might have in restoring the Mach460 system?

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
It's pretty much all plug and play, as long as the harness and plugs are still there.
I have the rear deck speakers if you need them PM me

cmm3

Established Member
It's pretty much all plug and play, as long as the harness and plugs are still there.
I have the rear deck speakers if you need them PM me
Thanks, but it is a convertible, and I pulled the two rear (sub?) enclosures from the junkyard yesterday. I stupidly didn't pull the wiring harness at the time, so I'm hoping I don't have to make a second trip across Houston to get it. He said something about the factory speakers being 8 ohm, and the aftermarket ones being different, and that's why he had to change them. I'm not an expert on stereo systems. I'm hoping this will be as simple as disconnecting the aftermarket head-unit, amps, and sub, then reconnecting the OEM components to the factory harness if it is still there.

52merc

Established Member
You might get lucky with the wiring. When I got rid of the Mach (all sorts of issues with it) I left all the original wiring in place. It was just easier to run new speaker wires to the amp which I mounted under the OE woofer enclosure. At the head unit, I just made a short adapter harness so didn't cut of remove any of the OEM wiring.

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
You might get lucky with the wiring. When I got rid of the Mach (all sorts of issues with it) I left all the original wiring in place. It was just easier to run new speaker wires to the amp which I mounted under the OE woofer enclosure. At the head unit, I just made a short adapter harness so didn't cut of remove any of the OEM wiring.

this

should be easy enough to look around at the rear speakers to see if the clips are still there. Hopefully they used adapter harness at the head unit.

Deceptive

Muffin is my spirit animal
Established Member
Premium Member
Going full stock for shows. It's all original- except the radio.

If it were just for show, I’d buy a clean stock headunit, cut the face off and just put it over the aftermarket one at the shows. Twenty year old factory radios suck duck for beer money and end up still sober at last call.

When the Charger goes electric, Dodge should call it the “ReCharger”

DSG2003Mach1

Established Member
Premium Member
If it were just for show, I’d buy a clean stock headunit, cut the face off and just put it over the aftermarket one at the shows. Twenty year old factory radios suck duck for beer money and end up still sober at last call.

When the Charger goes electric, Dodge should call it the “ReCharger”
Was gonna suggest this as well.

OP posted the current head unit before and while not the worst some of the newer ones look much better imho. I’d replace it and rig up a stock face plate before downgrading

cmm3

Established Member
Yea, probably going to regret downgrading, especially considering how much effort it will take to extricate the custom system. Definitely wish I had pulled the harness from the junker now, I'm going to need it. If this was my daily driver, I would want the modern system.

Attachments

• 20231030_194549.jpg
    20231030_194549.jpg
    438.7 KB · Views: 39
  • 20231030_200443.jpg
    20231030_200443.jpg
    462.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 20231030_203300.jpg
    20231030_203300.jpg
    386.3 KB · Views: 40
  • 20231030_203305.jpg
    20231030_203305.jpg
    376.1 KB · Views: 40
  • 20231030_205231.jpg
    20231030_205231.jpg
    516.5 KB · Views: 39

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Is it a 99 or 01? I still have the entire stock stereo in my 01 but have an ancient PAC adapter that plugged into the factory CD changer control and allows my to have bluetooth. Still looks 100% stock but can at least stream music to it.

cmm3

Established Member
I have an 04 Cobra. The 04 Mach460 head unit has 3 ports on the back (plus antenna), but my harness only has two plugs. Still trying to figure out if that is normal, but the M460 system info is confusing. I'm probably going to get an aux adapter like you're describing.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
Anyone else remember flemworld.com? (I know, weird name)
It was literally a basic website with all the mach 460/1000 information.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
All the plugs should be available on line. Wires are labeled on back of packaging also. You would need the complete body harness to do it right. The only difference between cobra and a regular gt/mach1 model is the wire for the fuel pump driver.
Screenshot_20231101-054330_Gallery.jpeg

Sent from my SM-S506DL using the svtperformance.com mobile app

RX1Cobra

Established Member
I have an 04 Cobra. The 04 Mach460 head unit has 3 ports on the back (plus antenna), but my harness only has two plugs. Still trying to figure out if that is normal, but the M460 system info is confusing. I'm probably going to get an aux adapter like you're describing.

I haven't had my stereo out in years but I'm pretty sure one of the ports wasn't used at all. That was the one that could control an external cd changer. The adapter plugs into that port. I'd go pull mine out to check but its cold in the garage now!

I'm not certain but I think this is it; if not its very similar. It has the old 30 pin Apple connector. I just bought a 30 pin to bluetooth adapter and you've got bluetooth now. You hit the cd button and stereo goes to DJ mode and the music plays. Sounds pretty good too.

There may be newer better options out there just what I've had for close to 20 years. Originally used it to adapt satellite radio to the car.

cmm3

Established Member
Okay, new plan... The OEM head unit seems to be working fine, and I can get output to the door-mounted tweeters, but nothing from the mid and subs, which makes sense since I haven't restored the original amps and sub-enclosures. Now that I've had a good look at the previous owner's changes, I believe it will very challenging to undo all the speaker/sub/amp changes back to stock. Too much hack&slash was done to the harness, and I don't have any of the stock speakers, except the sub enclosure.

So, in light of that, I'm thinking I may try to mate the Mach460 headunit to the aftermarket amps, speakers, and subwoofer. If it works, I'll have the factory 'appearance' I was wanting, even if the less visible aspects of the system are better-than-stock.

Think that will work???

52merc

Established Member
Sorry man, but that is an ugly install. Here is my amp install complete with all the wiring. The second picture is with the sub installed.

Attachments

• Installed Amp.jpg
    Installed Amp.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 31
  • Sub3.jpg
    Sub3.jpg
    177.4 KB · Views: 34

cmm3

Established Member
Well, I managed to remove most of the aftermarket stuff, and reinstall the factory equipment. (Anyone looking for a complete aftermarket system?)
The Mach460 radio works fine, as do the two subs, the driver's door tweeter, and the rear passenger tweeter. Neither lower door speaker works, but I think that is because they are 4 Ohm aftermarket speakers and not compatible with the factory amps. Idon't have OEM door speakers, so I'll be making another trip to the junkyard this weekend. I need to figure out if the dead speakers are due to Ohm incompatibility, wiring, or just plain busted. Still, making progress...

Users who are viewing this thread