Need advice on which year mustang to buy.

mcoble613

Established Member
I'm looking to buy a mustang but am not sure of which year I should go with. I would like 1999-2002 gt or cobra (price dependant.) I know certain year engines have low limitations on max hp. I can't afford a 03 cobra :( but would like to go with a reasonable amount of forced induction sometime in the future, without a full rebuild. I would appreciate any advice on which years have strong internals and the pros and cons of them. Thanks all. Oh and my budget is under $15,000.

Last edited:

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
Since you are asking for ANY advice, you should take a look at a 2000 Cobra R since it has Carillo billet steel connecting rods and forged pistons.

You and your posts :bash: .... if he cannot afford an 03/04, what makes you think he can afford a cobra r?

mustangman36578

Established Member
i dont think that the 2004 mach 1's have many problems and are pretty strong. dont know what your price range is but you can get a pretty good one for right around $20,000 i believe or a little less.

mcoble613

Established Member
A friend told me that different year model motors have different capacities for hp. Even though they are still 4.6 ltr. Can anyone shed some light on which years are the best. In Gt's and Cobras.

mustangman36578

Established Member
gt or cobra your going to want to go with newer than 98. the gt's 99+ have the PI (performance improved heads) and flow better and the 98 and older cobras had the IMRC plates and 2 different ports for the intake. the 99+ cobra heads flow a lot better. if you find a 99 cobra make sure it has the fix. there was a problem with the intake that year being restrictive and ford had a recall for it and also put a different exaust and a computer upgrade i believe but i dont think that you can get it done anymore.

mcoble613

Established Member
I want a 99-02 cobra. So that helps alot. Good info. Thanks. Any more helpful tidbits of information would be appreciated.

Last edited:

01yellercobra

Established Member
Well, you're posting your question in a New Edge Cobra forum. I think it's pretty safe to say which way we're going to go. And the New Edge's were only available in 99 and 01. There are no 2000 or 2002 models.

mcoble613

Established Member
I'm new to mustangs and don't know the difference.
I was trying to get some helpful advice from someone who does know. Where should I ask the question?

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
Years

If you are partial to the look of the 99+ then go for one of those. You should have a TON of choices in your price range.

If you enjoy low end torque either get a 99-04 GT or if you do get a 99 or 01 Cobra make sure it has gears or budget them in and get them installed.

I would never drive another 4V with stock gears unless it has a blower on it. The low end torque is pathetic and a real buzz-kill for a daily driver.

If you can find a decent 2003 or 2004 Mach 1 for around $15,000 that would be a great choice too. They have slightly better factory gears and a little better low end torque too compared to the 99 and 01 Cobras.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'm new to mustangs and don't know the difference.
I was trying to get some helpful advice from someone who does know. Where should I ask the question?

I was just messing with you on that man. I just thought it was funny that you came into a Cobra forum and asked if you should get a GT or a Cobra. That's all. I didn't mean any harm by it.:beer:

With that said, I would definitly look into something with a 4V in it. I had a 98 GT and was happy with that for a few months. I went for a ride in a Cobra and suddenly I was bored with the GT. It would have taken work just to get it to where a 99/01 Cobra is at stock. If you do go for the Mach make sure it's a 5 speed. The speeds came with the same forged crank that the Cobras had. It's one less thing you'll have to buy should you decide to upgrade down the road.

POISND U

THIS SPACE FOR RENT
Established Member
01 Cobra. Love my 99 but it took a lot of money for me to fall in love with it.

killrSVT

Established Member
'93 cobra. If you can find a low mileage.. say under 60K let me know. I love the fox body. But they do not have the HP out of the factory as does the New Edge. If I knew as much about Mustangs as I do now, I would of went with the '93. First year of the SVT Cobra and one of the last years of the 302. Not to mention the possibilities are endless for engine performance upgrades for the 302ci.. As opposed to the New Edge. Not much variety of performance mods and other parts for the 4V New Edge. EDIT: Go with the '93 If your looking for a project car... If you want go fast, look good at purchase for a reasonable price? 01' Cobra.. None of this Bullit, or Mach 1.. Come on, its a friggin Cobra.. Name says it all.. LoL..

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread