Need advice on tuners for my Cobra!!/What kind do you have?

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
I'm getting ready to hopefully put a 2.3 VMP on my car soon, but i want to have everything ready so when it comes time to do the install ill have everything set out and ready to go. Right now i'm confused on tuners and if i have/need to have them. I was under the impression that my local dyno would do my tuning. Isn't that what they do? My co-worker was saying today that they can dyno my car and tell me what kind of power i'm putting down but that's about it and when it comes time to adjust fuel/air or whatever i need some kind of tuner on my car.

Don't get me wrong, i understand that at some point in time a tuner will need to be used, but my question is do dyno shops do the tuning themselves or do i need to drop $300+ and bring one with me when i go? And basically have one hooked up to my car all the time for normal driving?

01yellercobra

Established Member
The guy at the dyno shop will use software to write a tune for your car. The tune is loaded onto a hand held tuner such as an SCT X3. The hand held is then used to flash the tune into the car's ECU through the OBD II port. It's basically a storage device for the tune. Once the new tune is flashed the hand held can be unplugged. This will happen a few times as the guy makes adjustments.

As for which one to get thay depends on which software the tuner is using. SCT is pretty popular for Mustangs. But some use Diabloaport. Best bet is to talk to the guy you plan on having tune your car.

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
The guy at the dyno shop will use software to write a tune for your car. The tune is loaded onto a hand held tuner such as an SCT X3. The hand held is then used to flash the tune into the car's ECU through the OBD II port. It's basically a storage device for the tune. Once the new tune is flashed the hand held can be unplugged. This will happen a few times as the guy makes adjustments.

As for which one to get thay depends on which software the tuner is using. SCT is pretty popular for Mustangs. But some use Diabloaport. Best bet is to talk to the guy you plan on having tune your car.

Ok cool, that explained it pretty well for me. I'm not trying to be cheap or anything with my cobra, i want it to be done right and safe i just needed help clarifying whether i needed to bring the tuner or that he would provide it. But i think i understand now, thanks man.

Riddick

MERICA
Established Member
Before you just take your car to any shop please do some research on them. Make sure they have plenty of experience with Fords and I would suggest finding a tuner who uses SCT software. I say this simply because it is the most popular and there is tons of support for SCT around the nation.

Are you paying someone to install the blower for you or will you be doing it yourself? Your stock tune will not work once you put the blower and injectors on. If the shop you choose can tune SCT chances are they can sell you a handheld as well. Just call around and ask. Find the forum labeled A Taste of Home here and find the area dedicated to your area of the country. Make a post in there and see where people are taking their cars to get tuned and go from there.

EDIT: Here is the link to the Southwest forum: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?162-Southwest

Good luck

Last edited:

mfrazier2

Engineers lead the way!
Established Member
Before you just take your car to any shop please do some research on them. Make sure they have plenty of experience with Fords and I would suggest finding a tuner who uses SCT software. I say this simply because it is the most popular and there is tons of support for SCT around the nation.

Are you paying someone to install the blower for you or will you be doing it yourself? Your stock tune will not work once you put the blower and injectors on. If the shop you choose can tune SCT chances are they can sell you a handheld as well. Just call around and ask. Find the forum labeled A Taste of Home here and find the area dedicated to your area of the country. Make a post in there and see where people are taking their cars to get tuned and go from there.

EDIT: Here is the link to the Southwest forum: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?162-Southwest

Good luck

I want to do the install myself, i think i can, but realistically ill probably pay someone that has a bit more experience than i do to do it. And that's another thing i was worried about that you mentioned, finding someone in my area that has a dyno and how to get my car there. If i have to ill rent a Uhaul with one of those car trailers behind it and take it there that way. Im about 100 miles north of El Paso which is basically in the middle of nowhere, so its going to be hard to find a dyno shop near by. But ill try starting a thread in the southwest section like you suggested.

Users who are viewing this thread