Need advice on building my short block..

Mt Twigbert

Established Member
Ok, I need someone to help me put together my parts list before I contact an engine builder and look like a fool..

I want to have a short block built and I'm sure I can contact an engine builder but I don't want to look like a dumbass who doesn't have what I need..

I have a spare 99 Cobra block that I will have bored .20.. I have a set of Diamond pistons and Manley rods..

What else do I need before I contact the builder?

I know I need piston rings and the rods that hold the pistons to the Manley rods (not sure what they are called).. I know the builder I have in mind will do the boring and the assembling..

What do I need and if you know can you please post a link to make this easier?

Thanks a ton!

Mt Twigbert

Established Member
Are you gonna stroke it? No time like the present.

Nah.. I'm not building a track car.. Just a super fast grocery getter.. I'm about 75% happy w/ the current power level but I am mostly building this block because I know how weak it is in stock form..

Thus, I really don't want to go too big on the build.. Just something that will hold 500 HP all day long and not feel stressed..

gmsux

Denial ain't just a river
Established Member
Are the rods you're selling an extra set or are you going to use them for this build?

Usually, pistons come with the spiral locks and wrist pins, least the ones I've bought in the past, contact diamond for correct pins.

Last edited:

Un4GivN

QuenchMyThirstw/Gasoline
Established Member
You need wrist pins to hold the pistons on the rods. Like gmsux said, contact diamond for those. You also need main and rod bearings. Federal Mogul and Clevite make good bearings. What are you doing for heads and cams?

elyrain

Established Member
A cobra crank might help to hold all those parts together....

If your only looking for reliability you should just buy an aluminator engine and part out your current engine along with this extra stuff you have. At least with the aluminator you get a warranty. I've seen them go for as low as 6300$ online. I know a shortblock build seems like just machining the block and buying the big parts. But add all the little thinks like head gaskets, head bolts/studs, side block bolts, and all the stuff you don't already have. I can almost guarantee you'll come out cheaper in the end by selling your stock stuff.

With the aluminator you'll also get new heads and the 03-04 cobra cams also. Which will save you a bunch instead of getting a new valve job on your heads.

Users who are viewing this thread