Need advice on 4lb lower kit.

maxx0ne

Established Member
I did research on the pros and cons of getting a lower pulley and I came across some people who had problems with a broken driveline or parts from it. I would like to hear more on people's opinion and experience and if they regret doing it. I just bought the kit with a 3.2 alternator pulley and want to be sure before I install it. The car is not daily driven and I barely push it hard. I also have a 2.76 upper. Thanx

Last edited:

cobracide

Established Member
No regrets, awesome torque. 2.90/4# considering going 2.90/6#. Just make sure it is installed properly with no wobble. Do it.

nycarpenter

Established Member
Not sure how much of the broken crank or driveline parts is urban legend. Myself I do not have one on my car but know several guys who have done this and have no issues. If you have drag radials and hook hard there is always the chance you will break the weak link 10 spline half shafts etc but when your playing with 500++ RWT crap happens :) My advise is try it and if it works for you keep it on and sell the stocker to offset the cost :)

unit213

Bone Stock
Established Member
I've been running a metco four lb lower for years...no issues...except Thqt I had to machine their pulley so it wouldn't wobble. Do it. Great mod. Broken crank empire happen with big blowers and rarely at that.

BO TY KLR

Established Member
I've had a lower setup on for about 6-7 yrs now. Over the years with different setups I have run 2#,4# and now stock size rings without any issues.

cobracide

Established Member
Broken cranks happen in high boost larger blower applications. You are fine on an Eaton. As far as the driveline, standard mods such as differential cover, 26 spline input shaft, ect.

maxx0ne

Established Member
Just installed the 4lb the shop told me the tq was @ 530 but the HP mostly stayed the same 480's is that normal?

Jefe

Established Member
4# Metco here since Feb 2011. No problems at all. 24hp/48tq increase over the stock setup. 2.93/ported blower are next

testorossa1989

Established Member
I emailed them awhile back (metco) and basically they said their engineering team was joint with a manufacturing engineer for the crank that built it for ford and they were making these for years now. They said their fail rate was average for amount of sales they made. Basically they sold 6,000 and 20 people said something happened. They also said the failures they knew about were in high boosted aplications where people changed out oil coolers and such. They also have a dozen cobras with high end miles for development use for the life cycle of the part and how it held up. I really suggest you message them if you got concerns. I was really on the edge myself AND still am. If your not running 23lbs at the track you shouldnt have anything to worry about

Slobanator

Established Member
I emailed them awhile back (metco) and basically they said their engineering team was joint with a manufacturing engineer for the crank that built it for ford and they were making these for years now. They said their fail rate was average for amount of sales they made. Basically they sold 6,000 and 20 people said something happened. They also said the failures they knew about were in high boosted aplications where people changed out oil coolers and such. They also have a dozen cobras with high end miles for development use for the life cycle of the part and how it held up. I really suggest you message them if you got concerns. I was really on the edge myself AND still am. If your not running 23lbs at the track you shouldnt have anything to worry about

How about 24lbs of boost with the lower for street and strip??

01Jes

Z06 bought with food stamps
Established Member
I've been running a metco four lb lower for years...no issues...except Thqt I had to machine their pulley so it wouldn't wobble. Do it. Great mod. Broken crank empire happen with big blowers and rarely at that.

:shrug:Do they always wobble? Is it advised to machine the part before installation?

Users who are viewing this thread