Need advice!! Garage Problems!

Moparkidd

can i get a check 1,2 uhh
Established Member
Alright, My wife and myself have decided we want more garage. Well, more so me than her but shes on board!

I want enough garage to be able to do some work on my car or truck, along with her being able to still park inside also. I cant figure out a good idea of a way to go about it without the house looking stupid. If anyone has any ideas or something it would be greatly appreciated.

Its supposed to be a 2 car single door, but its very tight to fit 2 cars inside this garage. i need more room!

150617_10151415363182640_1464324984_n_zpsd553d606.jpg

jfsram

Established Member
Does the layout of your property allow for building a garage around back or side of the house?

I built a 20x24 behind my house. It was meant to be a single car garage for my big car, 69 Super Bee. The original plans went to shit when I needed a place for my 93 Mustang. Now it's a 2 car garage with no room for anything.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
Do you have any extension room behind the garage?
You could extend the depth of the garage to the backyard, and make the garage 2 cars deep.
This would leave the front profile of house unchanged, while giving you a 4 car garage.

Last edited:

Moparkidd

Established Member
I could add on to the right side or the back, I have .25 acre lot. Most of my room is to the right of the house.

I have though about extending the rear of the house out as much as I can, and the right side a little and just putting a regular walk in door so the front won't look stupid, and have a lot more room to park

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
If you have the lot space to the right of house, I would extend the garage to a 4 car.
This would give the house a nice bungalow farmhouse look.
Here's a quick and sloppy photoshop to give you a visual.

4car.jpg

velocicaur

Established Member
We have a 4 car garage. It can easily hold 4 full size trucks or 6 civics. It has two single doors (separated by about 3 feet of decorative stone) and then 2 deep with a door/garage door in the back. It easily fits two cars in a row and then the mower and stuff like that, a work bench, etc. We could easily put a lift in one of the back spots if we wanted to.

Just make the sucker as big as you can. Ideally, I would like to add on to our garage. I'd like to knock out the stone and make it one huge single door garage. The single doors are too tight for my truck mirrors... always have to pull them in and it's still only an 1" on both sides. Then add a lean two type style single third stall with a big door on it (like 10x10) to hold my truck and stuff. And then still have it two deep. It would look a little funky with the big 10x10 door on the side, but meh.

It's a pain in the neck getting one of the deep cars out though. Always seem to be moving multiple cars around now. Not much else you can do in the 'burbs though.

Going 4 wide is also an option. Our lot positioning didn't let us do that. That would probably be best. You'd probably want to still make it at least 6' more deep just for the extra walking room/tools and stuff. I'd also still want a taller garage door.

Last edited:

oldmodman

Established Member
If you build here are a couple of things to consider.

A floor drain so you can wash cars inside when it's too cold.

A tall ceiling so you can have a lift(s).

A garage door on the back of the garage so you can drive straight through. Then have a concrete pad behind the garage to park on, store a boat or RV or anything else you want to put there.

Fully insulated, with heat and AC, a 200amp 220 volt system for the AC and welder or air compressor.

With all that stuff there is almost no limit to what you can do.

Moparkidd

Established Member
I'm going to do some measuring today, maybe i can post some pictures of what its like behind the house. i think there is enough room behind the house but i will have to measure.

If i can make it 4 deep without changing the look of the front i think thats what we will do.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I don't know anything about Canada's zoning requirements, but I would first check with your town's building department and see what the planning and zoning restrictions are. And then go from there. I like the idea of extending the back, giving you a work area with your daily drivers parked in the front area. If your allowed by code to extend your garage a bit to the right, I would consider doing that, giving you more room for the side by side cars and even a possible door on the right side so you don't always have to open the large garage door to get outside. Just some thoughts.

Moparkidd

Established Member
I don't know anything about Canada's zoning requirements, but I would first check with your town's building department and see what the planning and zoning restrictions are. And then go from there. I like the idea of extending the back, giving you a work area with your daily drivers parked in the front area. If your allowed by code to extend your garage a bit to the right, I would consider doing that, giving you more room for the side by side cars and even a possible door on the right side so you don't always have to open the large garage door to get outside. Just some thoughts.

I live in Tennessee, i dont think it will be a big problem because one of my neighbors down the street built a shop behind his house and i have more room than he does.

Moparkidd

Established Member
If you have the lot space to the right of house, I would extend the garage to a 4 car.
This would give the house a nice bungalow farmhouse look.
Here's a quick and sloppy photoshop to give you a visual.

I just dont know if i like the idea of it being that wide in the front. i think it will look stupid.

coposrv

Established Member
I like the idea of going 2 cars deep. My dad did this at his shop and put an office above. After working in the shop I prefer it to just being 4 cars wide. X2 on utilities and the floor drain as old mod mentioned. Build-threads.com has a garage section that may be helpful for ideas. Good luck with the build!

Moparkidd

Established Member
I like the idea of going 2 cars deep. My dad did this at his shop and put an office above. After working in the shop I prefer it to just being 4 cars wide. X2 on utilities and the floor drain as old mod mentioned. Build-threads.com has a garage section that may be helpful for ideas. Good luck with the build!

Thanks man! I'm really leaning towards the idea of going 2 cars deep. I like the office upstairs idea.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Can you post an overhead view of the lot? Screencap from google maps would work(just dont give out your address).

I cant see your photobucket pic you posted, but I have an interesting idea.

1st idea is to extend the garage deeper, but not he full car length like others are suggesting. Make it so you can pull a vehicle in the side(not sure of clearance to the side of garage). That would park in front of you current spots, sideways. It would be cheaper due to minimal expansion, but still accomplish your goal.

2nd idea, is to extend the garage deeper to fit 2 more cars like others said. However, you could leave the back wall of your current garage intact, and add a garage door seperating the "two" garages. This would let you have a seperated workspace/man cave from the main parking area if needed. Doing alot of dirty work? leave the door down to keep the main cars from getting dirty. Then put a side door in it to the back yard, and you have a way to host get togethers without people being in your main garage as well.

93Cobra#2771

SVT God
Established Member
Deeper garage would be my preference. However, it might be more expensive to do it that way than extending to the side. To the side would simply extend the existing roofline, but deeper would require a either an entirely different roofline, or a 90° hip join (is that the right term?) to cover it.

My next garage will be two cars deep for sure.

Moparkidd

Established Member
Can you post an overhead view of the lot? Screencap from google maps would work(just dont give out your address).

I cant see your photobucket pic you posted, but I have an interesting idea.

1st idea is to extend the garage deeper, but not he full car length like others are suggesting. Make it so you can pull a vehicle in the side(not sure of clearance to the side of garage). That would park in front of you current spots, sideways. It would be cheaper due to minimal expansion, but still accomplish your goal.

2nd idea, is to extend the garage deeper to fit 2 more cars like others said. However, you could leave the back wall of your current garage intact, and add a garage door seperating the "two" garages. This would let you have a seperated workspace/man cave from the main parking area if needed. Doing alot of dirty work? leave the door down to keep the main cars from getting dirty. Then put a side door in it to the back yard, and you have a way to host get togethers without people being in your main garage as well.

Cant post overhead shot, cant see the house for the trees.

Iman01

Established Member
Having had a garage that is 45 foot deep I can say it is a PITA. I would rather not have to move a car to get the car I want out.

4 car wide > 2 car deep and 2 car wide > 2 car wide only

So if the only way you can get a 4 car garage is by going 2 deep, do it, but if you can fit 4 wide do it.

Coiled03

Established Member
You can extend to the right, and you're asking this question? That's the easiest add on ever. You don't even have to change the roofline.

Moparkidd

Established Member
Yes, I have a lot more room to the side than I do on the back. Any idea how much an addition like I'm looking for would cost?

Users who are viewing this thread