Need advice from Cat owners

70Maverick

Established Member
--The only good cat is a dead cat.
--I could get her to stop, I have a .22......
--Tie a brick to it and throw it off a bridge
--Put it in a plastic bag and toss it out on the interstate
--dig a hole and bury it to its head

Already heard all those. They are so funny and also very original. Never heard those before today. :rollseyes

That being said, we have 2 cats. A male and a female. Both fixed. We can't seem to stop the female from crapping on the floor. At first, she would crap right outside the litter which really didn't bother us because it sits on an easily cleanable mat. Now, it is not always even near the litter.

The female is older, some people say that matters, IDK. :shrug: She will poop in the litter 100% of the time so long as it is clean. She pees in there 100% of the time regardless if it is clean or not. If the male has made a fudgey in both pans she won't go in. I think he does it to take ownership or whatever. Any (serious) ideas out there?

We clean the pans before work and after work and before bed but we are not there 24/7 to clean litter pans. Do you think it is the kind of litter maybe?

FSSNK

Established Member
Try moving her litter box to a different location in the house? I have two female cats and the oldest one will always crap outside of the box if it isnt cleaned within 2-3 weeks. Cats are weird about things.

RedDemon91

Established Member
Lol cats are so dumb sometimes.

We have 4 and normally females tend to be more picky than males. Ours will get pissed if the box isn't cleaned within about a week. Seriously question, when the male drops a duke will he cover it or leave it uncovered?

wvmystichrome

Established Member
We had a beautiful female Rag Doll a few years ago. Loved her to death. We had to get her fixed and as soon as we did she started peeing all over the house. Before that she ALWAYS used the litter pan. After she used the floor. When my daughter was born we gave her to friends. I hated giving her up but we did not like the odor of cat pee and was afraid where she might pee in relation to our daughter.

oldmodman

Established Member
Four cats in my house. Two older females (sisters), and a younger male & female. Only time a litter box problem happens is if I don't clean the box out often enough. The one time I had the flu and let it go the dominant female waited for me to walk by, then made a production out of crapping on the floor right next to the box. I got the message.

L8APEX

*Turbo Not to Scale
Established Member
Premium Member
do those motorized self-cleaning cat boxes work?

Yep, worth every penny.

I modified mine to use trash bags instead of the little containers that would fill up on 3-4 uses.
Now where the tray would go, I have a frame that holds a trashbag and seals when the lid designed for the container goes down. I then elevated the catbox and put it onto a work table and put the trash bag so it sits in a trashcan. The table was a perfect height so that the trash bag touches the bottom of the can like normal. I just add litter and trash the trashbag every week or so and replace with a new one. It could last several weeks if you kept adding litter. When I was traveling for work I had one trip from hell where I was gone over 2 weeks, and the bag was maybe 1/4 full when I got home.

My Siameese has never had any issues going where he is not supposed to, but he has had the littermaid since we got him and he was fixed at a young age. Kinda sad since he has not only grown to be such a good cat, but his good pedigree, his great temperment, and his build/ looks would now fetch high sire fees if we could breed him.
Always was a dog guy till he adopted me, now I'm an animal guy.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Four cats in my house. Two older females (sisters), and a younger male & female. Only time a litter box problem happens is if I don't clean the box out often enough. The one time I had the flu and let it go the dominant female waited for me to walk by, then made a production out of crapping on the floor right next to the box. I got the message.

I have heard that many times. Cats can be very temperamental.

HYBRED

That Just Happened
Established Member
With as often as you clean the box, I'm not sure it's a dirty litter issue. One of my cats wasn't litter trained when we got her, so I used this special "training" litter that's supposed to attract them to the box and it worked amazingly. She hasn't had an accident since then.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
I'd try either one of those automated cleaning boxes, or moving the second box if you can. Sounds like the female won't use the box after the male has "claimed" it. We have two cats also, and the only time I've ever had a litter box problem was when they got locked out of the room that contained it. One cat made a mess right outside the door, the other one went upstairs into the guest bathroom, bunched up half a roll of toilet paper, and went on it. No idea what possessed him to do that, but it was awesome..

Anyway, try moving the boxes. If it really gets to be a problem, you can try fitting one of those magnetic locking cat doors into a plywood box containing the litter for the female. Then just give her the collar that will let her in, and then it will be impossible for the male cat to use it.

70Maverick

Established Member
Lol cats are so dumb sometimes.

We have 4 and normally females tend to be more picky than males. Ours will get pissed if the box isn't cleaned within about a week. Seriously question, when the male drops a duke will he cover it or leave it uncovered?

He sorta pushes litter towards it but does not bury it really.

Try moving her litter box to a different location in the house? I have two female cats and the oldest one will always crap outside of the box if it isnt cleaned within 2-3 weeks. Cats are weird about things.

2-3 weeks! Holy crap. We clean it 3 times a day.
With as often as you clean the box, I'm not sure it's a dirty litter issue. One of my cats wasn't litter trained when we got her, so I used this special "training" litter that's supposed to attract them to the box and it worked amazingly. She hasn't had an accident since then.

Yeah, It seems most missed that we clean it 3 times a day. At this point we will try anything but I think if the male was gone, she would be fine. I think she knows she is supposed to go in there and wants to but for some reason does not. Thanks for the advice. You don't know how much fun it is to step in that kind of surprise at 2 AM on the way to the bathroom. :fm:
Anyway, try moving the boxes. If it really gets to be a problem, you can try fitting one of those magnetic locking cat doors into a plywood box containing the litter for the female. Then just give her the collar that will let her in, and then it will be impossible for the male cat to use it.

I have never heard of such a contraption. That sounds like an idea there.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
Yeah, It seems most missed that we clean it 3 times a day.

It doesn't matter if you clean it a 1000 times a day if the boy goes 1001 times. As soon as I clean my litter box one of the cats is waiting on me to finish so they can drop turd.

You said she'll use it if the box is clean. The automated box cleans it as soon as the cat is done.

FSSNK

Established Member
What I mean by cleaning is actually dumping the litter and washing the boxes. The boxes are scooped twice a day,morning and evening. Just to clear things up.

Predatorbird

Established Member
My g/f and I have two Himalayans (male and female) and they share one litter box. The only time I ever have an issue with my male is when I don't fold up the bathroom rug, he will poop on it.

If you have two liter boxes, try moving one to a new spot. If that doesn't work, then I don't know what to tell you. My cats don't really give me too many bathroom issues.

Users who are viewing this thread