Need advice for next mod

ktulu1984

Established Member
I was about to purchase a Boss 302 manifold today, but I have been reading some very discouraging information about them for N/A cars with 3.31 gears. Besides getting gears, what would be another good mod to gain some time in the 1/4 mile? My current mods are on my signature. Please give some input.

ktulu1984

Established Member
Also, I am looking to stay N/A and I am not a fan of nitrous. All my previous performance cars were Chevrolet, one was a 2000 Camaro SS that I put heads/cam, the other a 2002 Corvette Z06 with only intake and exhaust. From what I have seen, cams do not make a big difference on these cars. So I really don't know what to do besides forced induction.

ktulu1984

Established Member
Are other mail order tunes really that much better, or is it more your personal preference. I've seen so many people putting BAMA down, but I have had no issues with them. That being said, I have never tried any one else. If anything, I can data log and get it tuned specifically for my car if it seems to be low numbers. I will be getting the car dyno'd finally next week. I will do some runs with and without the tune and post the numbers on here. Hopefully I won't be disappointed.

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
#1. Bama's tunes are what they are, A few motors popped on their tune so now they're very conservative.

#2. I would strongly suggest you do more research before you jump to conclusions there are several posts right here at the top that would have answered some of these questions, I think you'll be happy with 3.31's and a Boss Intake manifold. I certainly was once I went with AED.

#3. Comp Stage 3 cams are good for 55+ HP to the wheels, that's pretty damn good if you ask me:shrug:

The best thing you could do to improve your 1/4 mile hands down are bigs and littles with a stiff sidewall slicks and the proper suspension setup. (LCA's, LCA Relocation since you're lowered, Adjustable Panhard Bar, Adjustable UCA w/ Mount)

At the end of the day it doesn't matter how much power you make if you can't put it to the pavement.

ktulu1984

Established Member
I understand the power situation. My first focus was getting my power mods done, then start working on suspension upgrades. I am looking in to doing a big break kit also, but that will come later also. It isn't very cheap to have fun :) I didn't know the comp cams were that much of an improvement. I was told that there wasn't much to be gained out of cams on these cars from a few people. For the stage 3 cams, is that cams only, or also upgrading anything else?

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
Stage 3 cams only will gain 55+ to the wheel. However while there I would recommend stronger springs and oil pump gears.

ktulu1984

Established Member
Have any one you used the BBK 85mm Throttle Body? I was looking at some things to add with the Boss manifold. This may be a dumb question, but has any of you also ever bored out the factory throttle body yourselves? I was reading on another forum and a member had mentioned he done his, but didn't go too much in detail. I had done that to my 2000 Camaro SS, but not sure if it's a real good idea for the newer cars.

kcsvt94l

1D 10 T Error
Established Member
I used the accufab TB it certainly added throttle response. As for doing it yourself, I personally haven't heard of anyone doing this. I got a stock one i'll sell ya if you're interested ;)

ktulu1984

Established Member
Lol, yea I haven't even looked at it that good to see if there is enough meat to open it up some more. I just find that the TBs are still pretty expensive at this point for a few more HP. I will see what the car puts down after the Boss manifold and driveshaft swap, then take it to my local tract to see what I can run in it. Hopefully all the cold weather is over with and the track will be open when I try to go. The last two times I've tried to go they closed due to high winds and cold temps, and I'm in south Louisiana...

twistedneck

Established Member
next mod - cj intake / tb / air intake. this will provide a big HP bump, equal to the comp cams. however you will have better power across the board and more torque. now, if you add comp cams to this - look out.

5.0jake

Established Member
I was about to purchase a Boss 302 manifold today, but I have been reading some very discouraging information about them for N/A cars with 3.31 gears. Besides getting gears, what would be another good mod to gain some time in the 1/4 mile? My current mods are on my signature. Please give some input.

Bama isn't bad or unsafe these days for a tune only car but they don't seem to be very good at tuning the Boss manifold, I've only read complaints. AED knows how to tune the Boss and C/J manifolds for sure.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread