Need Advice, clutch/flywheel upgrade for Daily Driver with 525 hp

xKingCobra

Established Member
I am comparing Spec 3+ , Mcleods Street Extreme, Mcleods RST, and any other clutch that is going to be worth the money. I would like to hear from those who have many miles on their aftermarket setups. Post your clutch flywheel driveline combos, Experience with them and if they are recommended for a long life for street driving with stop and go traffic. Would prefer little to no CHATTER or shudder.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I have an RXT in my car. It's not a daily, but I've been stuck in traffic with it. No real issues. My leg didn't feel like it was going to fall off afterwards. I've put about 14k miles on it. It did chatter if the rpm was low at take off when I first got the car, but it was still breaking in.

Friend of mine has a Spec 3+ in his Terminator swapped Mach 1. He likes it and he has a bad knee. To the point he needed surgery and the clutch didn't kill him.

xKingCobra

Established Member
Basically i am looking for a clutch that WONT BE ON AND OFF... so i am unsure of what to buy.. read alot of issues with the RXT route installation and after installation

zredfire04

Established Member
fidanza flywheel with mcleod extreme here. stock flywheel was shot, so got one that i could replace the friction insert in myself vs sending off to mcleod.

it's not on/off per se, but it has very little slip when engaging. pedal isn't bad to me, but takes more effort than a honda. i don't sit in a lot of traffic, though.

i chose the SE because i didn't need an rxt's advertised holding power, didn't want to spend that much money on a clutch, don't like the idea of wearing out blocking rings in the trans faster, and i'm not a girly man that needs a super light clutch pedal.

zredfire04

Established Member
fidanza=user replaceable friction insert.

also, i don't care if brands match or not...i just want stuff that works for ME.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Have loved my rxt/rst's. 450whp/daily drivers.

Make sure you have enough gap at the top of the pedal.

cj428mach

Established Member
I have a Centerforce DYAD and love it. It took about 1000 miles to break in but now that its completely broke in, I have no chatter, light pedal and insane holding power. My clutch came with a "dyno" sheet saying it held 1330ft/lbs of torque. The other nice thing about the DYAD is theres no issue with adjusting the pivot ball, or clearance issues with the clutch fork if you're running a Magnum transmission.

jrgoffin

Been around...
Established Member
Spending big coin on all the McLeod dual-disc clutches is completely unnecessary for so many. You can do real well with Centerforce products for a bunch less. The DF is fantastic - holds well, no noise, and zero need to fuss with an adjustable pivot ball (OE flywheel with new insert also).

Mine has been flawless behind the 2.3 Whipple, on top of the custom Aluminator - probably over 600RWHP. Took it right out on day one and didn't bother with any "break-in" - zero granny driving off the bat, and the pedal effort is a bunch less as well.

Lots on it: Drivetrain

Centerforce%20DualFriction%20Technologies.jpg

Black Gold 380R

Multiple SVT Collector
Established Member
I had a Spec 3+ and hated it. The pedal felt like I was driving a dump truck it was so hard to press. It was so bad I replaced it before the clutch needed to be replaced.

I now have a McLeod RXT and matching flywheel. It is SOOOO much better and the pedal takes very little effort to depress. I don't DD my Cobra, so it is still being broken in and it does chatter while engaging. However, once it's broken in that should go away.

I do have a 26 spline input shaft. Love the way my Cobra drives with the McLeod now.

01yellercobra

Established Member
I'll add that my wife has an 06 GT with the stock clutch and her clutch feels heavier than my clutch to me.

I didn't install my clutch, but I do need to pull the trans and install an adjustable pivot ball as there's no play in the fork right now.

Huachipato

Screaming '04
Established Member
I put the Spec 3+ in mine. It is a lighter pedal feel than stock (at least for me). It was a bit hard to drive at the beginning - the bite was hard and fast. However, after a few hundred miles it started to feel normal again.

I can't compare against any of the other clutches - only had stock and Spec 3+ - but I do like the Spec 3+ just fine. FWIW - most of my driving is city driving.

Comp04svt

Established Member
I just replaced the spec 3+ that was in my car because it was complete trash. It had a heavy pedal, so heavy that it felt like it wouldn't disengage quick enough when shifting at high RPM's, and I had clutch cable issues because of it. The GTO and Camaro I owned previously both had spec clutches (not by choice), a 3+ in the camaro and 2+ in the GTO. Both hydraulic, and had shifting issues just like my cobra had, along with hydraulic system problems. Obviously that's my experience with Spec, and I know some people love them, but I would never run another one of their clutches in anything ever again.

Basically i am looking for a clutch that WONT BE ON AND OFF... so i am unsure of what to buy.. read alot of issues with the RXT route installation and after installation

I just installed an RXT in my car using the Fidanza flywheel I already had with a new friction disc. I don't daily my car, and have only 150 miles on it right now. It is fantastic so far. Shifts are way better, pedal is amazing. Chatters some right now, but that should go away with some more miles. The RST/RXT are the same clutch except for the friction material. The RXT being the more "severe" duty of the two. Install is the same. At your power level the RST would be a good choice as long as you don't track the car much. Take a look at my install thread in the Driveline section. The install is no more difficult that any other clutch, just seems more intimating, but there's nothing different other than taking some measurements.

Users who are viewing this thread