Need advice asap!! Throw out bearing clutch help

Killer04

Established Member
Hey guys,

This past weekend I was driving the Cobra when suddenly a LOUUD SHRREEEKING noise started bearing its ugly face every time I engaged the clutch. I immediately figured the throw out bearing was shot and it seems like I'm right.

I got the car to my mechanic and he just called and mentioned that he recommends replacing the clutch and throw out bearing, but also mentioned the flywheel my need to be replaced as well. He said its really based all off visually looking at the flywheel.

Couple questions;

1) Is throw out bearing noise related to the flywheel???

2) He is going to order clutch parts from Ford; which is going to cost $700 plus labor will take me to over $1,000!! Do you guys recommend getting an aftermarket clutch or just sticking with stock parts? I do plan on selling my car very soon.

3) Am I getting hosed on parts cost???

For those that have experienced the unmistakable throw out bearing howl, how did you go about fixing it?

I've read that the whole tranny doesn't need to be pulled to replace the TOB.....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

KILLER04

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
first time mine went out (with the same screech you describe) i went with the 26 spline input shaft and internal trans upgrades. i figured that was the time to do it since i was dropping the trans

but if you are watching costs, then yes you can just try to replace the tob and only need to drop the trans but not touch the bellhousing.

but if he is saying your fw and clutch are gone then you will have to dig a little deeper! best of luck with it

Slow mustang :(
Established Member
Hey guys,

This past weekend I was driving the Cobra when suddenly a LOUUD SHRREEEKING noise started bearing its ugly face every time I engaged the clutch. I immediately figured the throw out bearing was shot and it seems like I'm right.

I got the car to my mechanic and he just called and mentioned that he recommends replacing the clutch and throw out bearing, but also mentioned the flywheel my need to be replaced as well. He said its really based all off visually looking at the flywheel.

Couple questions;

1) Is throw out bearing noise related to the flywheel???

2) He is going to order clutch parts from Ford; which is going to cost $700 plus labor will take me to over $1,000!! Do you guys recommend getting an aftermarket clutch or just sticking with stock parts? I do plan on selling my car very soon.

3) Am I getting hosed on parts cost???

For those that have experienced the unmistakable throw out bearing howl, how did you go about fixing it?

I've read that the whole tranny doesn't need to be pulled to replace the TOB.....

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

KILLER04

TOB noises go away when you depress the clutch pedal.

The noise you describe sounds like your clutch is going out.

03-04 Cobra replacement clutch parts including fluids should only cost you about $300-350 MAX!..and then another $200-300 for labor. ($500-650 total for everything)

03-04 Cobra clutch kit: M-7560-D46 $245-260
Timken TOB Part # 614014 $25-35 (Local Autozone)
Pilot bearing Part # F6ZZ-7600-A $12-14
Passenger side exhaust gasket part # XR3Z-9450-AA $10-12
Mercon/Dexron Fluid 4 Quarts (dunno the exact amount for the T56 though) $25-30 bucks.

Edit: Your flywheel might need light resurfacing..or replace the friction plate.

Example (Ignore the crap FRPP/Ford TOB on the top left corner):
242246.jpg

Last edited:

Killer04

Established Member
TOB noises go away when you depress the clutch pedal.

The noise you describe sounds like your clutch is going out.

03-04 Cobra replacement clutch parts including fluids should only cost you about $300-350 MAX!..and then another $200-300 for labor. ($500-650 total for everything)

03-04 Cobra clutch kit: M-7560-D46 $245-260
Timken TOB Part # 614014 $25-35 (Local Autozone)
Pilot bearing Part # F6ZZ-7600-A $12-14
Passenger side exhaust gasket part # XR3Z-9450-AA $10-12
Mercon/Dexron Fluid 4 Quarts (dunno the exact amount for the T56 though) $25-30 bucks.

Example (Ignore the crap FRPP/Ford TOB on the top left corner):
242246.jpg

Thanks for the reply; any advice as to where to get those parts???

Thanks

KILLER04

mu22stang

[_==[_=_][_=_3[_=_< /_=_\
Established Member
The Timken TOB is that much better? What's your experience with the FRPP unit?

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
Thanks for the reply; any advice as to where to get those parts???

Thanks

KILLER04

two words:

lethal performance! :rockon:

edit: i just noticed you are in oc

if you are interested in spending some $ and upgrading your t-56 while you are at it, i can point you in the right direction

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread