Need advice about a car --- please stop in for a second

MustangThief

Established Member
Hey guys,
This isn't Terminator related, but it's a predicament regardless, and I'd like your input.

OK, my dad has a '68 Corvette with 606 original miles on it sitting in the garage. It is not the original motor, he swapped with someone back in 1971, but the guy still has the original '68 motor, and wants to trade motors back so HIS car is original. Everything else on the Vette is 100% original, and if I get the motor back, then it's 100%.

My father passed away last year, and my 40 yr old brother is the family jackass, and my mother is quite afraid he's going to up and steal it one night, and sell it for some coke, because he's a piece of shit.

So, she wants to get rid of it.

How much do you guys think the '68 is worth as it sits? Restored? With the original motor? Without? It has 606 miles, and hasn't been STARTED since about 1975. :eek:

Also, anyone know a very reputable restoration shop? If it'd be worth it, I'd have to taken to a restoration shop and completely redone, but I'd probably only do that if I got his original motor back and the numbers matched up on it.

Thanks for any help,
Dave

Last edited:

Fred Brown

Established Member
if your mother as the new owner, sells you the car for a dollar, you own it.then if your brother takes the car , he stole it from you. I suggest you get it and register it in your name, your own license plates. I presume your mother was the sole benifactor of your dads estate.insure it and register in your name. I wont comment on value.

B_Pay

Established Member
Sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately I don't have an answer for you but I would suggest you check the corvette forum. Those guys would most likely know a bit more about it. Was the original motor a big block?

Good Luck...ttt

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
Yeah it's hard to give an opinion on that one. I'd get it in your name if you could asap! Then get on the Corvette forum.

Y2k4cobra

Bohemian Bandit II
Established Member
68's are worth something but not as much as the 69's. Is it a 427 car? heck I would restore it anyways since its your dads old car plus he was the original owner. I would give bodyparts off my self to find my dad's 69 superbee that he bought new, but thats just me. Is it a 4 speed? I'm going to go out on a limb here and say if its a small block car with a 4 speed needing resto your probably going to be able to sell it for $5-$10k, if its a original 427 car needing resto $9k-$15k.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I would talk to someone knowledgeable in restorations. With the original motor it would have to be worth some serious money with only 606 original miles. Sorry to hear about your dad!

Ray Hilton

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
First of all very sorry for your loss. My father and mother who have both passed away gave me my first car which I now built a duplicate of (see sig). I'm pretty sentimental about my family and my cars.
I totally agree with post #2 also. And I'd like to say further that I believe your Dad would be proud to see you pursue this course of action. Put it back together original,keep it and DRIVE it in his memory.
Ray H.

HEMIHUNTER

Established Member
First off , sorry about your dad
Second what kind of shape is it in now? that'll depend on cost to restore.
all the other advice is right on.
I,ve seen non original 70's--72's in good shape [ not excellent ] go from 20k + up [ or less]
Have an expert come look at it.

MustangThief

Established Member
Thanks for the comments guys.

A little more info for you guys...

Basically, my dad was a Ford nut but loved him some Vettes. He bought a 67' when it came out, and had electrical problems with it so he traded it in 9mos. later for a 68'.

The original title looks like a joke! After my Dad passed my mom and I were going through some things and she saw his title. It looks like the size of a bank deposit slip!

Anyway, the vette has been garaged since day1. He only joy rode it with my mom in 69-70 and only started it once a year until 75, when he stopped, and just let it 100% sit.

Now, my 40yo brother does not care about cars 1 bit, he thinks my Cobra is a piece of shit, and won't even go for a ride in it.

In fact, the day I got it, he knocked the color, year, and that it was a Ford.

Truth of the matter is, I would 100% love to restore the car, and take it to shows, and talk about how it was my fathers to other vette owners. But, if my brother ever got wind of me taking ownership of the vette, he *WOULD* find a way to destroy it/vandalize it/set it on fire.

He's a person filled with hate, been to prison twice, and lives off of my mother, still, at 40. My dad promised him the car when my brother was 12years old, but everything changed when my brother hit 16/17 and started doing coke hardcore and never stopped.

Him and my father spoke maybe an hour worth in the last 20 years. He makes fun of his death, is *glad* it happened, and makes me sick to talk to him.

So I've ceeded to the fact that I basically will never be able to own the car, as it would just give him a reason to start a feud with me.

SVT10TH#1721

Established Member
Sounds Like you should set your Brother on Fire for talking about your dad's death like that Sorry about your loss. GL

OH3Cobra

HP is my vice
Established Member
Sorry for your loss. The fact that the car was your dads is what makes it special. Low miles "survivor" may add to the $ amount.

Your brother needs help, and it's sad he's gone down such a dark path. What about this scenario?
1. Have the car valued by a professional
2. Your mom gives it to the two of you and you buy his half out
3. He'll want the cash and will probably put it up his nose but at least you'll have clear title and mind.
4. Don't do this if he won't honor the contract and take the cash.

Users who are viewing this thread