Need A Quieter Exhaust

Lowflight

Established Member
So, I bought a 03 with no cats, and Bassani Exhaust and off road X pipe....needless to say it is loud as hell. Dynospeed here in Memphis is going to put a catted H pipe that they say will quiet it down "some". TO me, "some" means not enough. This will eventually be a daily driver, I want something that is a bit louder than stock and that's it. Even as a tertiary car, the exhaust vibrates everything in the car on the highway and you have to crank the radio up. A week out I am already tired of it. It's like having the windows down in the winter and running the heat.....makes no sense.

Sooooooo.......what say you? Can I just weld or bolt new mufflers in or does the whole thing need to be replaced. I want to add the Cats and H pipe anyway because the smell in the garage is seeping into the kitchen.
xlarge.jpg

Doc Hawk

SDRev.com
Established Member
It will be more than just some. The X pipe has a radically different sound than the H pipe, all the more so without cats. The catted H will sound more like a growl at idle and a roar at WOT, whereas uncatted X pipes are harsh and sharp (more aggressive). Your new pipes will be more like a classic muscle car and less like a race car.

It should be the "louder than stock" sound you are looking for, but it will also be more grumbly than stock. If you don't want that sound, you need a Borla or other smooth catback.

IA Shelby

Established Member
Borla touring catback or magnaflow catback mated to a stock H pipe will work.

If you put an aftermarket catted H it will be significantly louder. I know as I just removed an MRT H and replaced it with a used stock pipe.

mach1033

Established Member
Magnaflow catted x and there catback will be all you need. No drone at cruising speeds and sounds great at WOT.

va boy

Established Member
Agreed on the Magnaflow set up. I had this before my current set up. First with the factory catted H pipe, then with the Magnaflow catted X pipe. Not too loud at all, esp, the with the factory catted H.

SickBlackMach

Throttling back
Established Member
Dynomax VT mufflers will tone it down some. I put them in place of my Bassani mufflers, no drone now! I also have Bassani Mids and o/r X pipe.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
I told you the other day, mufflers are easy to swap and you can just hang onto the Bassani's for any resale in the future.

norcalcobra

Established Member
I have the same set up, bassani with orx pipe. Yeah it's hella loud. Before I put the xpipe on I had the stock h pipe, still louder than stock set up. I am considering putting on high flow cats.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
As far as quieter is concerned, maybe go with a stock H and an FR500 catback. That way you will be a hell of a lot quieter (I would vote close to stock sound) as well as get some performance (aftermarket catback).

Good luck OP! I'm running a catted bassani X with a bassani catback and I think it's perfect! Super mellow at idle, but opens up nicely. It does drone on the freeway, though. I think the FR500 catback is going to be right up your alley from what you are describing.

cobracide

Established Member
Mangaflow is going to be the quietest from stock. The Borla 14858 has some drone but a nice full sounding idle. Both Borla and Magnafow will scream nice when you open it up. Marks go again to th Borla in tone throughout the rpm range. Quality is even. Stainless steel. Rolled tips on the Borla. Not so on Magnaflow. Both mandrel bent. Price to performance, Magnaflow. Overall, Borla. Those are the only two I have personal experience with. Magnaflow was just too quiet for me. Quiet Borla is just loud enough.

Btw - they don't make the FR500 anymore. Not for years.

Last edited:

gamatt

Whine Connoisseur
Established Member
Here are some Borla quiet mufflers for cheap: http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/exhaust-257/871990-fs-borla-quiet-mufflers-irs.html

With those welded in and a catted mid-pipe it will be much more tolerable. The other option is a stock mid-pipe with your current cat back, yes you'll leave some power on the table but your exhaust will also not smell. For the first time in my first three Mustangs I have a stock mid-pipe and I don't think I'll ever go back.

Users who are viewing this thread