Need a Pep Talk!

stanger1

Established Member
Well Guys,
I bet this is a different post. I have had my 100% stock 2013 GT500 for about a year.
I had always wanted a GT500 and the 13-14's are the top, IMO.
When I got this, which I traded a 2012 RS3 Roush with VMP tuning, so it was quick.
But I had the choice of a 2015 Roush RS3, which a buddy did get.
Now, I question, did I make the right choice. Really, any of the 2015+ GT 5.0
I think yes, but I wonder sometimes.
Nervous about the Trinity Block if a Rod lets go, verse a Coyote, which they are everywhere and not too expensive to rebuild, plus they are pushing 700+ with all stock internals.

I would not think that I am the only one questioning this.
I know its a personal thing, but thought this might make for a good discussion.
Thanks

Last edited:

Recon

Established Member
I think you did. The Trinity is one of my favorite modern Mustangs. Plus if you want more power get the VMP kit and call it good. Maybe when the S550 GT500 comes out you might upgrade. But for now you have an awesome car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fearthesnake

Established Member
I think you made the right decision as well, I know a little bias being an 13' owner myself.

Your car is wicked stock as is. Next time you drive around town or on a trip notice how many 5.0s you see and how many GT500s you see. That should tell you that you made the right decision.

As for mods, to each his own but 700rwhp is easy to get to on these cars and the motor will be fine as long as you have a good, safe tune. Traction is your biggest concern!

Dont worry about what other cars (Mustangs) have. Enjoy your very limited GT500 and know that there will never be another one like it!

stanger1

Established Member
Thanks guys.
I do feel Good about the 13-14 GT500's
I know it blew me away when I test drove the 13 GT500 and compared to my 12 RS3, it was awesome.
So, thanks!

Zemedici

Established Member
I'd rather have a Trinity car than a 15....

*Coming from a guy who has had 2 2015s, and currently has a 672 rwhp 2015*

Imatk

Established Member
I can definitely understand about the rebuilding thing.

There have been a few motors that I've read about that have let go with minimal mods (or so the poster said) and that's a hell of a ticket when it comes to replace it.

I had an '06 and modded the crap out of it... and then bent a valve. Then replaced the motor with a GT500 drivetrain ('07 motor) and I LOVED it.

I wrecked the car and now have an actual 07 GT500 with an FRPP TVS and FRPP tune.

To me, it seems like the 07-09 motors have a lot more room to mod than the 13-14 motors.

If I had a 13-14 I would leave it be and just drive it because I think Ford really pulled out as much as they could from the Trinity. Just looking at the cylinder bores and how thin they are at the gasket would make me very nervous about doing any additional power mods to the 13-14.

That being said... 660hp on tap really, to me, doesn't need any modification.

I have less HP on my '07 and I have difficulty hooking up in 1st and 2nd gear so 660... yeah that's just fine.

But I also wonder about longevity of the trinity. Again with that small gap for the gasket I wonder how durable it will be in the long run.

Again, that being said... I'd buy one in a heartbeat if I had the cash :)

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
The latest ain't always the greatest. Go with your gut and whatever makes you happy.

WVTrakPak

Established Member
To me there is so much changed about the car other than the engine that simply make it the best ever.

Clemson

Established Member
Doesnt matter how much power a 5.0 has, its still just another GT tooling around town, that you see 100 of every day. How often do you see another Shelby around? let alone a 13/14. Its instantly recognizable, its iconic, and its one hell of a car to boot. And in my opinion its so much better looking than the 15+ cars that its not even worth discussing.

Breitling

Established Member
2015 Roush vs. 2013-14 GT500 is, for me, a no-brainer. The SVT product is the way to go.

Now, when the 2018+ GT500 comes out, I may be looking to sell my '14 GT500. Just depends on improvements, specs, etc. I'm sure SVT will not let me down.

Imatk

Established Member
Doesnt matter how much power a 5.0 has, its still just another GT tooling around town, that you see 100 of every day. How often do you see another Shelby around? let alone a 13/14. Its instantly recognizable, its iconic, and its one hell of a car to boot. And in my opinion its so much better looking than the 15+ cars that its not even worth discussing.

That's the thing... when you're talking just performance, which a lot of us do, then it really doesn't matter.

You can mod anything to be fast.

I LOVED my '06 but mostly because my friend and I built it... together. It meant a lot to me especially after he died.

I would never have sold that car even if it was twice as slow as a GT.

I knew I could never replace my '06 and I still miss it. But I wanted to step into a GT500 just because I could afford one finally (an '07) and it is special in its own right because it's a Shelby.

I'd also like to own a Ferrari 308.

If I could afford it that's what I'd be driving... and that car is light years behind in the performance category compared to almost anything on the road now.

stanger1

Established Member
Thanks again for the replies and I feel the same way on all these things mentioned.
And that is why I did get the 13 GT500.
Even with the New 2018+ GT500, there will never be a Big Bad 5.8L of American Muscle from Ford stuffed into a Mustang. It's like the end of an American Icon and that's what I wanted.
Awesome.
Not that I would not want the New 2018+ GT500, but I bet it's going to be a $90,000+ car with the Dealer additional premiums.
Thanks everybody..

paluka21

Established Member
Thanks again for the replies and I feel the same way on all these things mentioned.
And that is why I did get the 13 GT500.
Even with the New 2018+ GT500, there will never be a Big Bad 5.8L of American Muscle from Ford stuffed into a Mustang. It's like the end of an American Icon and that's what I wanted.
Awesome.
Not that I would not want the New 2018+ GT500, but I bet it's going to be a $90,000+ car with the Dealer additional premiums.
Thanks everybody..

Unless Ford puts in the big bad 6.2L motor :coolman:

A lot of dealers do put ADM's on cars, but if you're willing to travel for a car, there will be dealers who should have them for MSRP just like the 2016 GT350's.

Breitling

Established Member
Plus, the ADMs will disappear after a year or so.

With respect to the possible 6.2L mentioned above --> :rockon:

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
You made the right choice keeping the GT500, such a better platform to build on. And do people really think the coyote engine is stronger than a 5.8? The 5.8 can handle 800whp all day, you just have to keep your RPMs a little lower and have a good tune

We also just had a 2015 Roush stage 3 traded in at my dealer and I really wasn't all that impressed, its a nice car but my Shelby in stock form would hurt its feelings.

Last edited:

stanger1

Established Member
Norton,
My 13 is the exact copy as yours.
Good choice, LOL.
Yes, I really like this car. I was happy with my choice and I see others do feel the same.
Thanks

stanger1

Established Member
2011 gtcs
"We also just had a 2015 Roush stage 3 traded in at my dealer and I really wasn't all that impressed, its a nice car but my Shelby in stock form would hurt its feelings"

That's cool. Yes, I had a 2012 RS3 that was tuned strong, but when I drove the 2013 GT500, I thought, Holy Crap, the power and Torque were just incredible and the long gearing also impressed me.
Changing the subject here, but,

It's funny, but in the Head to Head Motor Trend with Randy Pobst driving the 2013 GT500 vs the Chevy ZL1, Randy liked the GT500 better, posted a faster time and even said with a brake pad update and better fluid, the GT500 was the better car.
So we know the 13-14 Gt500's are wicked cars.

drewsky67

my 1st post

I will chime in on this just because I was debating the same exact thing. I Just picked up my 13 GT500 in May so relatively new to me still. I second thought just getting the 16 5.0 to make it a more practical DD ( I DD my Shelby ) I was thinking all the time that maybe this GT500 is too much car for a DD and I was being impractical with this. Looking back I am 100% happy with my decision, I have seen maybe 2-3 Shelby's driving around since May and 3-4 new 5.0's daily. When the new 5.0s see me or pull up next to me guys my age honk and have smiles ear to ear with the thumbs up. That alone tells me I made the right decision on this one !!

Users who are viewing this thread