Need a new home computer..

Blown 89

Established Member
For just browsing and emails, building a computer is a bit overkill. You'll get a nice computer for sure but it's way more powerfull than you need it to be.

i7 = overkill, no need
ssd = overkill, no need
dedicated gpu = overkill, no need

What you should be looking for is the cheapest desktop offered with these specs (minimum)

i5 processor 3.0 ghz
8gb memory
500gb hdd @7200 rpm

You may be able to save a few bucks building it yourself but it won't be much. You also don't get tech support or extended warrenty (if that's something you desire).

Good luck OP.
i7 is overkill, I was just giving an example of what a $1k budget could theoretically build.

I'd stick with the SSD. Faster bootup, quicker program launching, no mechanical parts to fail, quieter, no heat. There are too many upsides not to.

The DIY approach has some huge upsides and quality is the main one. Not dealing with the bloatware that manufacturers install that also tend to cause the self destruction of many systems is another. Windows itself is rock solid, 99% of people's problems are from the crap manufacturers install. That being said, if I were in the OP's shoes I wouldn't do it unless I were willing to take the time to learn the basics about computers and the parts I was buying. DIY doesn't have to be overkill if you can exercise restraint. Like I said though, don't exercise restraint on the power supply, that in and of itself is worth going to DIY approach.

www.hardforum.com is a good resource too.

Last edited:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
Building a computer is not complicated lol
I pretty much agree with both Bob and Venom_inc. I would probably replace the i5 with an i3 though, an i3 is pretty much all you need for 99% of everyday simple tasks.

For under $500 you can build a good home PC. If web usage, e-mail, excel, etc is all you need it for that is. Like Bob said, I would pick up W7, a lot more stabled IMO from personal experience.

CompOrange04GT

Anyone have a strap on my girl can use on me?
Established Member
I feel like the only one who went to Walmart.. bought a $250 computer ( since he just wants emails and browsing) and it works fine. No hiccups.. runs fast..I stream youtube and Netflix on it no problem.

I don't get it. He wants a computer to just screw around on and people are saying " build a computer" Good god. I haven't spent more than $400 on a computer in the last 10 years and all 3 have come from Wal Mart. I usually just get another every 3-4 years.

For what he wants isn't even $1000 overkill? Hell I'd say $500 is overkill. My desktop I have is just hooked to a TV... and I spent $200 on the CPU portion lol.. And you can get a 32 inch TV for $300.. And bam.. You have a computer and big screen to use your computer on. If you want smaller.. you'll spend even less

Last edited:

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
Alright, don't throw shit at me, but Is there any way to build a computer and have it run like a Mac? I can barely turn a PC on, but my MacBook Pro is getting dated and 3K for a new computer doesn't sound exciting.

Are these all desktops you guys are building?

Last edited:

Zemedici

Established Member
Alright, don't throw shit at me, but Is there any way to build a computer and have it run like a Mac? I can barely turn a PC on, but my MacBook Pro is getting dated and 3K for a new computer doesn't sound exciting.

oh my god bahahahahahaahahahahahaa i literally spewed coke everywhere

and by coke i mean cocaine

;)

04SVT_COBRA

CO No Mas
Established Member

lol, I like how you edited in "don't throw shit at me"

I didn't even know how to respond to that without breaking multiple forum rules, so I opted not to

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member

:rolling:

You're SOL.

My advice, don't buy a Mac.

Blown 89

Established Member

Yes they are desktops.

Do a Google search for "Hackintosh" and you'll find what you need:
http://apcmag.com/build-your-own-apple-mac.htm

Last edited:

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
lol, I like how you edited in "don't throw shit at me"

I didn't even know how to respond to that without breaking multiple forum rules, so I opted not to

I know to PC guys, us Mac people are (fill in the blank) But it's all I know. I have a bunch of software that's all Mac oriented too.

Didn't mean to sidetrack Ed's thread.

04SVT_COBRA, I'll shoot you a PM.

Edit: your PM box is full.

Last edited:

BlueSnake01

Established Member
I feel like the only one who went to Walmart.. bought a $250 computer ( since he just wants emails and browsing) and it works fine. No hiccups.. runs fast..I stream youtube and Netflix on it no problem.

I don't get it. He wants a computer to just screw around on and people are saying " build a computer" Good god. I haven't spent more than $400 on a computer in the last 10 years and all 3 have come from Wal Mart. I usually just get another every 3-4 years.

For what he wants isn't even $1000 overkill? Hell I'd say $500 is overkill. My desktop I have is just hooked to a TV... and I spent $200 on the CPU portion lol.. And you can get a 32 inch TV for $300.. And bam.. You have a computer and big screen to use your computer on. If you want smaller.. you'll spend even less
If you spent $200 on a cpu on a $250 PC, you're doing it wrong…..
Don't think anyone said $500, I said UNDER $500. Might as well just buy a tablet for under $200 which probably has superior hardware to your Walmart PC and can connect to a TV as well and do the rest of the things.

You can build a PC with stronger hardware for same price as a store PC, sometimes cheaper. If you buy a TV to use as a monitor only, you're also doing it wrong…..

Blown 89

Established Member
Here's how I'd build a budget desktop:
Elite 110 case - $50
Intel G3258 - $70 (overclock it to hang with the i3's and it's an opgradable socket for i3, i5, i7)
Seasonic 400W fanless PSU - $119
MSI motherboard - $60 ($100 if you want built in wireless and bluetooth)
Samsung 840 Evo 120GB hard drive - $80
Corsair 4GB memory $40 (one stick, add another if you want 8 GB later down the road)

Grand total is $419 + $100 for Windows 8.1.

That includes an awesome small case that takes up no room, is quiet as a mouse, you can keep when upgrading the components in the future, and accommodates a nice CPU fan upgrade for $30 if you want a truly silent PC with an overclock. The PSU is one of the best on the market and you'll never need to replace it. The SSD is one of the best on the market and the motherboard will overclock easily to get more out of your CPU. The best part is that Windows isn't some bastardized version the manufacturer gave you and will actually run right as long as you don't **** it up.

The beauty of DIY is that the case, PSU, SSD, or motherboard won't need to be replaced next time you upgrade. Simply pick up a cheap i series cpu and more ram and you've upgraded your computer for under $100. When Windows 9 comes out pick up the $30 special they always offer for pre-release and sock it away. If you wanted to be a cheap ass you could save money on some of the parts but if you're not going to do it right don't bother.

Other options are a Surface Pro refurb for $300-$400.

Users who are viewing this thread