Need a jack- options and opinions?

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
I'm sick of my ancient/cheapo hyd floor jack. I want a new one for doing tire swaps on the GT500 and also other vehicles.

Do I get a quality sissor jack?
quality hyd floor jack that will work on the pinch weld?
Was looking at the arcan XL-35R- gets good reviews on the tool/garage forums
Or an an aluminum one that is lighter?
I was hoping for a padded lift that can lift the rear axle pumpin to swap rear tires (I know it's not recommended). What do ya'll use?

I'll spend up to 200-300 if it's really nice and worth it.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
You have no idea how much I love this floor jack. I got it for $59.99 with a coupon that's easily found in any Mustang magazine, and it's low enough to go under my car without driving it up on wooden planks first (my car is LOW). It jacks the car up fast too, and better quality than you would expect from the vendor. Very light, can carry it with one hand if I had to, and padded lift point that is pumpkin safe.

I would buy it over again.

Harbor freight jack

Last edited:

Posi

Had a blast.
Established Member
You have no idea how much I love this floor jack. I got it for $59.99 with a coupon that's easily found in any Mustang magazine, and it's low enough to go under my car without driving it up on wooden planks first (my car is LOW). It jacks the car up fast too, and better quality than you would expect from the vendor. Very light, can carry it with one hand if I had to, and padded lift point that is pumpkin safe.

Harbor freight jack

Same one I have been using for 4 years now. I paid over $100 and it was still worth that.

Plus on the 4th of July (or anytime) you roll that sucker out in the street and the handle makes for one great bottle rocket launcher!:thumbsup: No telling how many of those have been shot out of that sucker.:lol1:

Proto

EpicProto
Established Member

Harbor freight jack
Same one i use! Freaking love it!

:beer:

zimm17

Shelbyless
Established Member
Okay, I'm sold on it. Now 1.5, 2, or 3 ton version? Mostly to pick up my mustang, but needs to be able to lift half my 4runner too, which is just over 5000 pounds. I'm thinking 2 ton...

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
I went with that compact 1.5 tonner. $89 and $6.99 shipping. Can't beat that.

Did you order already? There is a harbor freight here in town and I have a coupon for that same jack for $59.99

54First

Grouchy Old Guy
Established Member
Not sure I can include my pictures. I'll try. Here's the post:

I would suggest a hydraulic floor jack of your choice. Make sure it has a removable cup. Then modify a couple of bolts (I used 1 1/8" diam by I think 1 1/2 long) by clamping them end to end and drill a hole between the heads. Put one in the jack in place of the cup. Now you've got a floor jack that works on a pinch weld. You may have to grind the heads a little to more easily fit the pinch groove.

A couple of years ago Kragen (now O'Reilly's) had a 3 ton floor jack that locks in place at 4 different heights. I bought four and now I can work under the car with all four wheels off the ground. I haven't seen them since, but maybe someone has them.

As far as jacking by the pumpkin, even if you can get the jack under it, make sure you have enough room to pump the jack handle.

Steve

Can't post the pics.

Link, post #4: [ame="http://www.fordgt500.com/forums/showthread.php?p=164784#post164784"]Need a jack- options and opinions? - Ford Shelby Cobra GT500 Forum[/ame]

Last edited:

5spd07gt

BaggedCobra
Established Member
Yup already ordered it. Crap! I didn't want to drive down to woodbridge, but for $40, it might be worth it!

In the future let me know if you need anything from Harbor Freight. I work at Ft Belvoir so I could meet you up there somewhere

Sent from N8's iPhone

Users who are viewing this thread