Need a good machine shop

CCM302

Established Member
Anybody know of a good machine shop that would bore and sleeve my 5.4 to a 5.8 with confindence? Nobody in my neck of the woods wants to touch it.

AntiHeightPunk

Established Member
are you going to be sleeving the motor? If so darton sells the sleeves so im sure they have a preferred machine shop
p.s. being on a computer without chrome spell check sucks

Mike@TF

Established Member
man thats expensive lol....why not just keep the 5.4? unless a race car and spinning some serious rpms dont see the point but hey.. not my money lol..

what are you shooting for with the car? im sure you can get l&m to do it or proline..

CCM302

Established Member
Yes, I will be sleeving it. Unless you can get away with the walls being that thin and have no detonation problems.

I'm looking to spin it up to about 7k RPMs. I'm shooting for 500/500 N/A at the wheels. Pardon my ignorance to most short hand, but who is L&M/Proline?

Mike@TF

Established Member
you should do the boss block instead but im assumeing you have the 5.4 already...7000rpms really isnt anything...you dont need to sleeve anything for that...

your gonna have the compression about 12:5?

proline racing engines and L&M engines..

you should call john t he has done that combo quite a few times...but you gotta go higher than 7k rpms..

Last edited:

Mike@TF

Established Member
think john closed for a little due to health problems though...but get on modularmisfits.com and you will find quite a few high rpm n/a guys and post it up on there..john t is the mod on there so im sure you can get intouch with him some way

CCM302

Established Member
I'm not saying you're wrong, but i've seen people with my combination around 11.5 CR and they were putting down 460+ to the wheels at around 7k or less RPMs. So, a 5.8 (additional 0.4 liters) with 11.5 CR, ported heads, stage 3 cam of sorts, and flat top/valve relieved pistons won't be enough to make up the 40hp difference? I guess maybe you hit a ceiling with these mod engines or something? I have no idea. I'm just speculating and hoping.

Mike@TF

Established Member
come on you know motors .4 liter isnt worth anything lol.. you need custom cams not some random stage 3 cams(well i wouldnt use off the shelf but hey.. you gonna spend like 3k on just sleeving a block at least..not worth it..i would go with a big bore block( a light weight rotating assembly) nice ported heads(done right),custom cams,a short runner intake or that boss intake and put some rpms behind it..

Mike@TF

Established Member
so if you seen people with your same combo hitting 460+ you thin going .4 liters bigger will give you 40 more rwhp? you will gain more from compression and better spec'd cams..

Mike@TF

Established Member
here you go...my friend is selling his custom diamond pistons for around 11:5 compression on a 5.4

[ame=http://www.mach1registry.org/forums/showthread.php?t=118297]Custom Diamond Pistons 5.4L DOHC - 2003-04 Mach 1 Registry Owners Club[/ame]

CCM302

Established Member
Cool. When i said "stage 3 cam of sorts", custom cams was what I was getting at. Think a '00R intake will work? Cause that's what I got ;-)

Users who are viewing this thread