Navigator, Escalade..... Or?

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Figured I'd ping the forum to see what some members may have experienced with these vehicles.

I'm leaning towards the Escalade but will consider the Gator for the right deal. I'm looking at 02-06 models. This would truly be a utility vehicle- with a catch. I'll be using it for my detailing business. So it needs to be reliable, roomy, classy and preferably AWD/FWD. Something I can take to a clients house to do mobile detailing but is also right at home at a car show/show and shine so I can promote the business. The other vehicles I'd consider would be an older HD F150 (supercharged version) or if I can find a less than 100k mile PowerStroke F250/350 or Excursion for the right price.

Any thoughts or other recommendations? I'm trying to stay under $14k.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
I would take the Navigator over the Escalade, but my 1st choice would be an Excursion if it's not too big for you.
Escalades are a dime a dozen, but you don't see too many Navigators on the streets, at least in these parts.
The only Excursions I see on the road are hutterite vehicles, but I still like them.

If you decide on the Excursion I would try to find an older one with the 7.3L. :banana:

2219d1191259707-heres-plan-2002-excursion-7-3-p3250037.jpg

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
If you chip a diesel Excursion how much can you improve the mpg?

Mine went down but that is probably due more to my driving habits than the chip itself.

My 6.0 got really good MPG's- 23/24 on the highway if I kept it close to the speed limit. The issue is the diesels that aren't ragged out are either at the very top or over my budget. If I can find one that works I will def jump on it.

Thanks for the input and replies!!

coposrv

Established Member
If you chip a diesel Excursion how much can you improve the mpg?

I ran sct custom tunes on my older powerstroke and unloaded on the highway I got around 20. Around town 15-16. My newer powerstroke I have stock tuning and with my fathers 30' boat full of fuel, water and gear I figured I had around 9k 10k on the trailer and I got 12mpg on the highway.

Slowstang305

Slow Saleen ;)
Established Member
I had a 2002 Escalade. I put it up on 26in rims. Loved the truck. You will not find anything with such comfortable seats. The car was a beast with 345hp and AWD. I actually fooled around against a buddy of mine that has a 2004 Expedition with the 5.4 and pulled like 5 cars on him. Not that this car was made to race LOL. The ride is great, the only thing to be careful of is the air suspension. It can be problematic but still not as bad as the one in the navigators. The navigators have the worst set up in the world, plan on replacing it if you end up buying one. My parents own a 2004 Navigator and I would choose the escalade all day long.

FIVEHOE

Established Member
With a 14k budget, I would personally opt for a navigator over the pre2007 model escalade (was never a fan of the style). With that said tho, the navigator just looks like a more stylish version of the ford expedition..

pretty much comes down to personal preference, but with 14k your going to be looking at a higher mileage escalade, vs a lower mileage navi (my pick)

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I would take the Navigator over the Escalade, but my 1st choice would be an Excursion if it's not too big for you.
Escalades are a dime a dozen, but you don't see too many Navigators on the streets, at least in these parts.
The only Excursions I see on the road are hutterite vehicles, but I still like them.

If you decide on the Excursion I would try to find an older one with the 7.3L. :banana:

2219d1191259707-heres-plan-2002-excursion-7-3-p3250037.jpg

Tough to get an SUV with more Utility than that.

Monster Mach

Established Member
Iv had my 98 navi since new and though about trading in for a escalade but it lacked the power of the navigator. I felt gutless compared to the 5.4 abd the fact I broke the hood latch on the caddy when it was brand new. I'm taking my navigator out in 2 hours for a 3 hour tow of my 21 foot chaparral the caddy counldnt do it.

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Iv had my 98 navi since new and though about trading in for a escalade but it lacked the power of the navigator. I felt gutless compared to the 5.4 abd the fact I broke the hood latch on the caddy when it was brand new. I'm taking my navigator out in 2 hours for a 3 hour tow of my 21 foot chaparral the caddy counldnt do it.

What yr Escalade was it?.... Interesting perspective. I had no idea the Caddy was down in power to the Gator.

Monster Mach

Established Member
What yr Escalade was it?.... Interesting perspective. I had no idea the Caddy was down in power to the Gator.

Felt down In power (could have been gearing ) but it felt as if the tranny was goin to explode on some hills just the way it shifted the caddy was an 04 I believe but the 98 only had 80k on it and less than that in the motor (recall in 99)
e4uge3as.jpg

And now it's strict use is for towing. We bought it new as a shop truck for our car audio business now it's a retired haul truck because we could dead ass never replace it the power the miles the ride quality the fact we paid 35k ootd the day it was released and it runs better than any other vehicle we have. One problem with navigators the airbags leak if aftermarket ones were put in or if it sat forever. And power seat breaks if ur a child and play with it constantly. (I haven't had those problems)

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Felt down In power (could have been gearing ) but it felt as if the tranny was goin to explode on some hills just the way it shifted the caddy was an 04 I believe but the 98 only had 80k on it and less than that in the motor (recall in 99)
e4uge3as.jpg

And now it's strict use is for towing. We bought it new as a shop truck for our car audio business now it's a retired haul truck because we could dead ass never replace it the power the miles the ride quality the fact we paid 35k ootd the day it was released and it runs better than any other vehicle we have. One problem with navigators the airbags leak if aftermarket ones were put in or if it sat forever. And power seat breaks if ur a child and play with it constantly. (I haven't had those problems)

I always liked the 5.4 4V engines in those. I almost bought a Blackwood once. Still wouldn't mind having one.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
I like the escalades more. Comfortable, reliable, etc. Are you just starting the business out?

From my experience, setting up booths for detailing is a complete waste of time at car shows. in theory, it sounds like a fantastic idea. these are the guys you can go to that have awesome cars to help you promote and theyre generally pretty clean to start out with. however, the "car guys" typically enjoy doing their own cars and don't like anyone else touching them. Even though you may know more and do a better job, they would rather do it themself. I don't speak for everyone, but I've never had any luck what-so-ever promoting my business at car shows. If you have a few customers/friends that just want to bring their cars and hang out, go for it, but I've realized promoting at car shows usually won't get business. I used to want to cater to the show car crowd. I'd bring lamborghinis, Ferraris, vettes, and older muscle cars and make them look perfect. It would bring people over, but not one person would take a business card or flier. Detailing is a incredibly hard business to make a name for yourself in. Everyone knows a guy who cleans cars, and most people don't want to pay for quality. They try to lowball you because the kid up the street said he'll clean their car for much cheaper.

I've gotten into dent removal, scratch removal, vinyl graphics/stickers, glass chip repair, tinting, etc. idk how established you are, so if you are very established and what I've said is wrong from your experience, I appoligise, but this was just from my experience.

Last edited:

jbs$

Established Member
If your budget is under $14 grand, finding an Escalade with less than 175000+ miles on it will be hard. Your better value will be in the Ford products. Look for one where it's maintainece history can be verified.

Users who are viewing this thread