Naturally Aspirated 400whp 1996 Cobra

Gavinb_SVT

Established Member
I was just curious as to what it would take to make a 96 Cobra make 400whp naturally aspirated. I have BBK longtubes, BBK O/R X pipe, IMRC deleted, and injectors. No idea what power I'm making and I don't have a tune in it. (Yet)

ZeroDCX

Established Member
A lot of money.

When you state you have "injectors" but no tune, are you implying you've changed injectors to a different flow rate than stock? If so, you require a tune to adjust AFR and changing injectors will see neglible performance gains on a otherwise stock motor.

mustangmanjeff

Established Member
coyote swap? lol yeah its big $ to keep it n/a cheapest easy route would be to find a used newer 4 valve motor out of a 2001 cobra or 2003 mach 1 or cobra being they already come with the better flowing c heads and intake stock, get the intake and heads ported, a nice set of comp cams, along with your bolt ons should make it a 350-380rwhp car. with aggressive cams, and higher compression can break the 400+rwhp mark. otherwise any other route = more $ your current 96 cobra motor with the older b heads and intake flow not as good as the newer updated 2001+ c heads. your current motor prob would be in the 330-350rwhp range even if you ported the heads and put small cams in. now the c head builts ive seen tons with cams and long tubes and ported heads in the 380+rwhp range n/a

your car as it sits now with your mods is prob not even in the 300rwhp range. i would say stock they dyno around 240-260rwhp. your mods are like 20hp -30 tops gain, so your prob at around 260-290rwhp. with a tune maybe 275-300rwhp tops. even with ported heads cams your car might pick up 30-50rwhp at most which wouldnt be any where near 400rwhp. now the c head cars are rated 320hp they dyno around 270rwhp stock with just exaust they seem to be near 300rwhp. so heads ported cam long tubes a c head car picks up a good 50-100hp it would be a 380-400+rwhp car.

Last edited:

nomoretickets

Established Member
Same as everyone else has been saying. You wont make 400whp n/a on a stock or mild b head long block.
mustangmanjeff is pretty spot on with all his assessment, only part where I would disagree is on the porting of the B heads. Dont even waste your time porting B heads unless your are shooting for the moon with your boost levels. These heads flow just fine, their problem is velocity. Porting them is really just not worth the cash.

Users who are viewing this thread