Nasty midpipe rattle, need help gentlemen!!!

obryant21

Established Member
I installed a used, catless Bassani X-pipe that I bought from a guy on here on my '04 termi about 2 weeks ago(the installation). I inspected the pipe when I got it in the mail and it was fine; I had to have a hole welded up from a sensor that the guy had on it for a turbo set up, but
no big deal. I installed the pipe on a lift, using an impact gun and what not. The day after I started getting some rattle. About a week later I took it took a quick little auto shop and let them lift it to re-tighten things. Immediately after they tightened it everything sounded great, then low and behold the next morning I fire it off it's rattling worse than ever. I'm fairly confident when it comes to tinkering with my car but this is stumping me, I'd really appreciate any help you guys can give me, I know you there's loads of expertise on this site. Thanks all

IA Shelby

Established Member
I installed a used, catless Bassani X-pipe that I bought from a guy on here on my '04 termi about 2 weeks ago(the installation). I inspected the pipe when I got it in the mail and it was fine; I had to have a hole welded up from a sensor that the guy had on it for a turbo set up, but
no big deal. I installed the pipe on a lift, using an impact gun and what not. The day after I started getting some rattle. About a week later I took it took a quick little auto shop and let them lift it to re-tighten things. Immediately after they tightened it everything sounded great, then low and behold the next morning I fire it off it's rattling worse than ever. I'm fairly confident when it comes to tinkering with my car but this is stumping me, I'd really appreciate any help you guys can give me, I know you there's loads of expertise on this site. Thanks all

Does it rattle if you sit in neutral and give it a little gas? Could you have a buddy sit look under the car to see if he can isolate approximately where the rattle is coming from?

I bet if you pulled into an exhaust shop they could have it diagnosed in 5 min.

obryant21

Established Member
Does it rattle if you sit in neutral and give it a little gas? Could you have a buddy sit look under the car to see if he can isolate approximately where the rattle is coming from?

I bet if you pulled into an exhaust shop they could have it diagnosed in 5 min.

That's pretty much exactly what it does, and it will rattle pretty bad when cruising as well.... I think you're right about the exhaust shop and that's probably the direction I'm headed, I appreciate the replies gentlemen

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds like the cat-back may be out of alignment from putting the new x-pipe on. It may be rubbing on the vibration dampner on the pumpkin. I would loosen it all back up and make sure the clearances are good, use a tall jack stand to prop up the x-pipe to cat-back joints then tighten from the front to the back.

1badsvtcobra

Established Member
I would remove the x pipe and inspect for anything loose inside - I once dropped a nut inside one of the pipes and had this annoying rattle, somehow it had gotten stuck and didn't blow out, & make sure you get a new gasket for passenger side flange.

Users who are viewing this thread